Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rotella or Castrol GTX

6K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Forcedinduction 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone got an opinion on Castrol GTX Diesel 15w40?

The local store has it for 12 bucks for a 4 quart. Kinda thinking of trying it just to see if i notice any change. Cars been on Rotella for ages.

opinion?

#3 ·
I highly doubt you would notice any difference. That being said I only run Castrol in my cars.

#5 ·
Oil threads are dangerous!

You are quite right

For that reason I've decided to only use Oil of Olay and I don't care what anyone else says

#8 ·
When I go to my local MB dealer.....(great parts guy and parts department) and ask for the appropriate oil for my 83 280SL they used to give me Mobil Delvac 1300.

Now they give me Shell Rotella. Same spec oil.....but now Mercedes has a deal with Shell. Any MB packaged oil product will have a Shell product inside....except the Rotella which will still come in a Shell package.....probably due to a lower demand.

Long winded commentary only to suggest that the BRAND name is not what's important......it's what's inside that counts.

Sounds like advice from a Grandma.

#13 ·
Well, as long as we're digging up corpses....my driving habits are similar.

What engine are your running?

What did you find switching to T6?

I have hard cold starts and easy warm starts, so I just ordered Rotella T6 5w-40 to see if the 5w will help on the cold starts. Also, power is low until the car is truly warmed up, and if I turn left out the driveway, I'm going uphill.

Curious to hear what you've found with T-6. Thanks!

#14 · (Edited)
Mobil 1 15W50, year-round for more than 120k miles between all three of my engines.
Modern diesel oils lack the phosphorous and ZDDP our engines need to stay healthy.

Rotella T6 is not synthetic oil, they use false advertising to push a cheap Group III crude oil base.

There is no reason not to use synthetic in these engines. If it leaks oil, the seal was already failed and needed replaced.

Reactions: ACF
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.