Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

My 81 240d only has a driver side mirror. Can a passenger side be easily added?

8K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  LarryGee 
#1 ·
Found one at the local yard. Complete. Can it be easily added to the passenger side by removing the chrome plate and exposing the mounting points?

#4 ·
If you fancy having the convex lens to further enhance visibility, they are available too but the manual adjust mirrors are harder to find in convex form. I see a lot of them with electric adjustable mirrors.

I was never a fan of the flat lens the car came stock with, at least on mine.

#10 ·
Nope, from what I've seen in the US only the 240D's came without the second mirror. They were the cheap model, so they had parts chopped off, as it were :smile

I suppose it's possible that some early 300D's also didn't, but I know my '79 has both mirrors. Does your '77 not have a passenger mirror?

Just from what I've observed it was more common for Euro cars to come with only one mirror.

#16 · (Edited)
....speaking of mounting .... I like to turn my side mirror out, so I can see cars in my blind spot. I can push the mirror assembly out. It appears to be spring load. It won't stay put. The little lever inside seems to only adjust the cant of the mirror up and down, not in or out.

Is my mirror "broken" or is it just not designed to be adjusted out and stay that way?

#17 ·
Not sure what you're trying to achieve.

Are you:

1. Pushing the whole assembly to angle the lens so you can see the blind spots?
2. Pushing the mirror lens only so you can see the blind spots?

Unlike the newer models which can fold/spring forward and backward, the W123 mirror assembly can be pushed from a force directed backwards when installed on the vehicle. If the mirror strikes an object while the vehicle is moving forward, the mirror will fold rearward but spring back to normal position.

It is possible the lever may require some re-lubing of the mechanism. Do not force it, this may cause the lever to break.

#21 ·
The lens is available separately, there are threads on how you can remove and replace the lens without breaking the mirror.

The lens must be from a manual adjust if your mirror is so, same goes with electric adjust - the tabs and mounts behind the glass are different between the two and are not interchangeable.

#25 ·
Search complete. Found one on flea bay.

Looks like you just have to remove the plastic mirror controller thingy by releasing the clip. Then removing the chrome triangle thingy. I guess there are some screws back there that hold the INTERIOR chrome thingy. Once removed, you just insert the mirror, secure the screws and put the plastic controller thingy back on.

Piece of cake? No such luck for me....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.