Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

radiator lower threaded ports

548 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bricktron 
#1 ·
there are two threaded nipples at the low side of both the turbo and non-turbo W123 radiators i have here. i don't know where the pump would be, but i think i read that they are for cooling the ATF from an automatic tranny.

my real question is.... has anyone with a 4-speed used this secondary circuit for cooling something else?

#3 ·
thanks MBeige.

a maximal heat dissipation design might have four different circuits: coolant ("radiator"), oil ("cooler"), refrigerant ("condensor"), and air ("intercooler"). i'm not saying it would work well, but perhaps this extra chamber could serve as a secondary cooler for the A/C refrigerant or (more practically) the motor oil.

i have no idea what fraction of the radiator this section occupies. am wondering how much smaller it is in volume compared to the oil cooler, but it's too late to go get wet in the garage trying to fill the thing up and weigh it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.