Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Paint matching for 623 Hellelfenbein (Taxi)

939 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  brianV 
#1 ·
I posted a longer version of this over in the 'Detailing' forum yesterday:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/detailing-car-care/1803458-surface-rust-repair-single-stage.html

I've decided to repost it here as this is probably a more topical forum for it, and certainly better trafficed!

Last weekend, I helped my father find and purchase a 1984 300TD in 623-Light Ivory with 143k miles on the clock.

It's an ex Florida car that has only been driven for two summers and one winter since arriving here in Canada in 2002. It's was stored in a garage from Dec 2005 - Jan. 2013. The owner trailered it over to a mechanic who brought it back to life, and has been sitting in the driveway with a 'For Sale' sign on it since.

This car is very solid, apart from a few small surface rust issues. We are looking at fixing these issues while they are still minor, but aren't really eager to send it away for professional paint yet, as we are focusing on the mechanical issues first.

This is single stage paint; while it's a bit oxidized, we are buffing it, and are taking the car back down to non-damaged paint. Provided we do excellent repair / prep work on the few rust spots, are there any paints available that match the original factory paint?

Also, given that we are buffing back to unoxidized paint, how much do we need to be concerned about sun fade deeper in the pain? Would the color we are buffing back to be what it was from the factory?

Thanks for any replies!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.