Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Federal 1985 300D vacuum routing/issues!

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  BioNerd 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Finally pulled the trigger on the purchase of a 85' 300D. Its originally from Texas and spent most of its time there until its importation into Canada in '03. 10 years and 1.5 weeks later here I am trying to sort out the vacuum issues it has (No power locks and takes a good 3-5seconds for the car to shut off.

I have spent quite a few hours scouring the web and Benz forums for a 85' specific vacuum line routing diagram with no luck. I have even spent time at the local MB dealership trying to get anything out of them and apparently if you cant plug into a computer to figure whats wrong....they dont want to give you the time of day. Needless to say here I am posting a thread for assistance.

5 things I know for sure that need to be corrected.

1. This car does not have that yellow/gray valve I have seen on most w123 diesel engine bays. I believe its for the locking system?

2. The main vacuum line from the Vac pump to the booster....the little inline valve has one of the 2 take off tines broken and plugged with a screw.

3. It really hesitates on stopping when the key is turned off. Haven't done a full blown investigation on that just yet but, I assume its a bad line or related to the missing/bad routing.

4. What does that white line do or feed?

5. Shifts a little hard and from what I have read its indicative to the vac system having issues.

I would really like to spend money on new hoses/vac lines/adapters and valves if need be and completely sort this thing out.

Any help would be great.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you for the attachment....Its reaaally small though and I am guessing if you could have made it bigger you would have. Is it possible to get a larger version sent to my email or maybe tell me where you got it and I can try to acquire a larger version of it?

I kinda knew that main vac line would need to be replaced...any reasonable priced source you suggest I get it from? Local MB dealer cant get it.

Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w12...3-transmission-diagnose-adjustment-722-a.html

I collected a ton of info, diagrams, links videos, etc. in that thread.

There you will find your diagram (large enough I hope) and other useful stuff. Check the videos.

Seems like your vacuum is been heavily messed with, so start by making it simpler so you can tweak the tranny to shift right and then later reconnect all other vacuum users (such as door locks or climate control) one by one to see if they work properly. This is all explained in the thread I just shared.

It's also important to note that the engine health and proper linkage functioning are huge factors that are often ignored in this topic, non the less changing ATF and the filter... Not to mention old cracked rubber connectors.

This is a slow process, a huge learning curve but its doable. Be patient and happy motoring.

Sent from my iPood

#6 ·
Ok, I'm local(-ish) to you, bought an '84 300D over the weekend after scouring ads all over Canada and the US for a week.

So I have to ask - which 300D did you buy?

Edit: I probably misread. I thought you said in your post that you had bought the car over this past weekend... On a re-read, it looks like I was mistaken.

#7 ·
Wow, BioNerd......thats a great link you have given me. I will start plucking away at it and report my findings as I go along. I have seen it mentioned on more than a few articles I have read about deleting the EGR. Probably a good move on my part.

Thanks,
Phil

#8 ·
Your very welcome, it was my pleasure to get super nerdy and condensate all that info in one spot to help the community. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.