Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Glow Plug Brand - Opinions?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  gatorblue92 
#1 ·
Replacing mine soon in the 300CD. Last time, I used Bosch (I think). Wondering if anyone here with an opinion wouldn't mind voicing it - details as to why you like or dislike a particular brand would be awesome. Thanks muchly in advance.

#3 ·
I use the Bosch 80006 plugs as well. They seem to have a good service life and heat up quickly. I've had the Beru plugs before and they just don't last nearly as long. On the last set one of them broke right after I removed it.

#4 ·
For the Pencil type Glow Plugs there is only 2 choices that are considered reliable. Bosch Glow Plugs and Beru Glow Plugs.

Bosch Glow Plugs are entirely adequate and on the internet have been as low as less then $9 Each.

Beru Glow Plugs tend to last longer but are more expensive and harder to find.

You will not get the full life out of either of them if events in your combustion chamber are not happening with in specs or you have a lot of Carbon Build up around the Tip of the Glow Plug.

I say go with Bosch and use the Money you saved by not getting the Beru Glow Plugs to buy or make a Glow Plug Reamer to remove the Carbon from the Glow Plug Holes.

#12 ·
I have had experience with Autolite and Monarks GPs. I bought both on eBay before I had done any reading on the subject.

Additionally I do not live in an area where the Winters are cold and that means the Glow Plugs do not get as tough a work out as in the colder Areas.

After 6 months use I had 2 of the Autolites that had the tips swell to the extent that it took a vice Grips, penetrating Oil and a lot of force to get them out. The swollen tips made a nice eeeeking sound as I rotated and pulled on them.
It is clear that if they had been in there longer I might have had 2 stuck in the Cylinder Head.
I replace the Autolites with the Monarks because I had them.

One year later I had a problem with My Glow Plug Light and the Engine was not starting as easy.
The Plugs Ohmed out OK. So I pulled them and tested them on a Battery. One of the Plugs started glowing in the middle instead of the Tip; that was a bad Plug.

After doing that test the Plug died and I could not get the good Ohm reading I had originally had.

A different Car. My Volvo Diesel with the Short Block rebuilt has used Champion Glow Plugs (a few have used them on Mercedes but most forums do not recommend them). In over 10 years I have replaced only one Glow Plug.
But, the Volvo has a different type of Pre-chamber and the rebuild on the Block included boring oversized and new Pistons and Rings. Meaning that Combustion is likely better due to better compression than in the Mercedes and what goes on in the Pre-combustion chamber has an effect on the Glow Plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.