Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How much is this 240D worth?

8K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  26.2_Larry 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I love the color combo....I venture out there and say the top bidding price is probably what its worth maybe a grand less? You'll need a new grille, headlight doors, door pocket, dash cover.....the door rot bothers me...but you might be able to clean it up and kill the rust....axle boots look good...new primer pump...idles nicely...

#4 ·
It's definitely arguable, but the all-manual 240D's are beginning to carry a bit of a premium over what might be their typical value.

As the years go by, and automatic items such as auto climate control systems start to get long in the teeth people are appreciating the simplicity of the manual cars.

And the only manual cars in the US were the 240D's, and only a portion of them, so they are less common to find.

So take that as you will, but if I were shopping still I'd probably pay 3500 or so assuming the condition is truly as shown.

#5 ·
It's very very debatable. It will honestly all come down to condition, how it runs, what model, color and service records, what someone is willing to pay and what is working on it. W123 is a very old car and there is no real specific ball park figure. I have seen some trying to sell for as high as $9,000 and then I see some for $500. The one in the link is beautiful and if I was a buyer I would say around the $3,000 mark is fair to me as it does have some rust.

#6 ·
Beautiful car, unusual but very nice color combo. If the miles are legit, and maintainance is as stated I'll go out on a limb and say its even worth the 4k that didn't make the reserve. As for the rust, are you going to drive it or show it? I would imagine that it will need some body work to make it right, or even new doors. I would bet though that due to your location you could find some nice dry replacements someday.
She looks real clean to me especially if it hasn't been repainted. I'd offer them 3, knowing that they'll negotiate since they look to be a dealer. Maybe its my NY eyes talking,but I think easy 3-4k range.:thumbsup:

#7 ·
Just feel good knowing that in Southern California they'd be asking $6k minimum :thumbsup:

#9 · (Edited)
It's quite unlikely the car has 56K miles. The condition with missing and worn interior parts makes the car look like a freshly painted 150-200K mile car which has been driven without any great effort to maintain the interior.

Under the hood appears to have baked for more than 56K miles, also. Parts are usually quite a bit shiner on low mileage examples.

If it runs and drives well with no mechanical issues, then 3-3.5K with mileage unknown. If there is some way to prove the mileage is real, then you have a fairly abused 56K mile car maybe worth 3.5-4K if someone else really wants it.

Buyer beware with these cars, they're old. It has clearly never been garaged, or at least sat outside for a good many years. If it was garaged often, then it spent a lot of time on the road, which makes the odometer reading questionable again.

It may well be a very good car, as 240D's with so few options tend to last, well, forever.... and can be brought back to life even if terribly abused in many cases. But in my opinion, not even worth the $4,050 that was offered on ebay.

EDIT: I just looked at some more of the pics and noticed they admit it has around 150K miles. Definitely less than $4000.00, and only go that high if it needs no mechanical work whatsoever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.