BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1983 240D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My 240D won't turn off?

Starting yesterday, my 1983 240D won't turn off. I turned the key and took it out of the ignition and the car kept running. Put the key back in and tried again; still nothing. I had to stall it to get it to turn off. Is that a bad solution? I've had to do that each time I've turned the car off, four times so far. Is this something that can be easily fixed? If it's not, is it okay to just keep stalling it? I don't like doing that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:39 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 1984 300D, 06 E55(sold), 1990 350SDL
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When you say stall it what do you mean? Are you pushing the stop lever under the hood? The reason your car wont stop is because you have a vaccum leak somewhere (most likely door locks) try pushing down your drivers door lock while shutting the key off. If this does not work plug the line under the hood for your door locks and this should solve the problem until you have time to find the leak.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: W123, W201
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
The ignition shut off is controlled by vacuum. A bad shutoff valve, also controlled by vacuum, can cause this issue. Or it could also be caused by another vacuum-using device going bad and "leaking" vacuum.

Behind the injection pump is the vacuum-actuated shutoff valve. There should be a brown line going to it. This brown line goes inside the cabin through the firewall to the ignition switch, and back out through the firewall again to the main vacuum hose going the brake booster.

I recommend you try to understand the vacuum system in your car and diagnose it by trial and error to see which component is leaking vacuum and how to resolve it. But you can do some checks on your own while you're learning about the system. Make sure that ALL vacuum lines under the hood are intact, have no tears and are not loosely connected.

For now you can use the emergency shutoff lever on the valve cover to manually shutoff the engine.

Similar threads:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123...till-wont.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123...literally.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123...cuum-prob.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123...s-running.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123...-solenoid.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123...ey-turned.html

#4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 01:03 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
By "stall it" I mean that I turn the ignition to the off position with the car in first and then take my foot off the clutch.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 04:30 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok I have tried the holding down of the lock and I thought it was going to work for a second, but it didn't. How do you suggest that I go about learning about the vacuum system? I'd love to take this on as my first real mechanical car project.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 05:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2011
What was the last bit of maintenence you did to the car before it had this issue? It may help narrow down the location of the leak.

On mine for example, when I check the oil, I need to be careful when pulling out the dipstick, as the vaccum line that controls the shutoff valve runs very close to it. I have often pulled this small yellowish line out of its fitting by mistake, causing a vaccum leak.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: '82 W123 240D, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
There is a brown tube coming from the top of the IP. Find the other end and suck on it while the engine is running. If it shuts down, you have a vacuum problem. If it doesn't, you have an IP problem.

W202 C250 Diesel
1986 200, WIP, eating cereal and working out to become a 300D

Donkey, soon to become test "Mule"...

PlaneCrazy - it's more than a name, it's a life choice!

QUOTES FROM CONSTERNATIUS:

"Inside every small problem is a big problem screaming to get out."
#8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 12:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: Mercedes W123
Post HELP!!!!

[COLOR="Red"]I had a similar problem in my 240D which I got last month. The vacuum pipes running through the front doors were cut last week accidentally by my denter. From then the engine wouldn't shut off. So I researched online and what I did was, I disconnected the vacuum pipe (one of the 3 pipes) from the yellow hose in the engine compartment and closed it with a screw.So basically the vacuum to all the 4 doors, trunk, fuel access door and reservoir has been disconnected. Now when I turn the key off the engine shuts down in 10-15 seconds (with a screw plugged in the pipe). I am not sure why this delay of 10 seconds? And another question bothering me is, will this effect only the locking system or any other stuff on my w123. I don't mind using the car this way forever, for a fact that noting else is being affected. I've attached a pic for clear understanding. The speedometer, clock, is not working from the time i got it. Initially the doors on the drivers side would lock and had to manually lock the other side doors. The engine would however shut of normally before. PLEASE HELP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-17_213259_mercedes_vacuum_w123.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	479174  
#9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 01:14 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 1984 300D, 06 E55(sold), 1990 350SDL
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The vaccum system in these cars is not complicated but it just takes time to track down the leaks. So here is a quick breakdown

240D , the vaccum system runs the locks, brakes , transmission, shutdown, cruise control.

300D, the vaccum system runs the locks, brakes, transmission, shutdown, climate control system (dash pods), cruise control.

Track down the leaks and fix them one by one, your brake booster could be leaking. Usually its the locks that cause trouble but if you have capped the line to the locks and it still takes awhile to shut down you have other lines leaking.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 02:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: '83 300SD-daily driver '84 300CD-weekend car
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
No vacuum to the cruise control.

More than likely, a leak in the door lock system is the culprit.

You can plug off the locks, see if the car will shut off.

'83 SD-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class