LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
85 300cd alternator adjustment bolt...how to replace?

I snapped the bolt and got a new one from the dealer. It seems the only way to get the old nut out is to bend the bracket that is holding it so it can slide out of the slot. Is that right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Here are some pictures of the alternator adjusting bracket...

Taken from here

PeachPartsWiki: Refreshing the Alternator

Which bit did you bust?

1981 300D (non turbo) 123.130 => Project car - stripped to the bone

1992 190E 1.8 <=>2.0 201.018 => This car shouldn't be in bits too
#3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
i broke the 90 degree bolt, the one with one end that goes to the adjustment nut and the other end goes through the alternator bracket. (the one in the left hand of the guy in the last pic you posted.)
#4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 09:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1984 300D
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
It has been a long time since I messed with the Alternator but you to bend the bracket some but before you do that remove the Belts from the Alternator Pulley so you can pivot the Alternator around more.

There is cheaper places to buy the Alternator Bolt. Also there is a much cheaper Fix to replace that bolt.
You stick a slighly longer regular Bolt through and Eye Bolt and use a Nylock type Locking Nut on the Threaded protion of the Eye Bolt to replace the regular adjusting Nut (not needed if you can find a Metric Eye Bolt that matches the threads of the stoc Alternator adjustin Nut).
I will search my notes to see if I have another thread or picture.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 09:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

This might be the thread
Using an Eye Bolt to repair a broken alternator tensioner bolt
Stuck on V-Belts: ALternator bolts frozen and tension bolt broken - Page 2 - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

This thread has how to remove the Altenator Bolt so doing the opposite must allow you to install the Alternator Bolt.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123...ator-hell.html
#6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Okay, thanks for the links. The eye bolt fix looks slick, but even to do that I still have to get the old adjuster nut off the bracket. This is a rediculos design. How in the hell did they get nut in there in the first place? Put it in and bend the bracket to old it? Seems very labor intensive...
#7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 10:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
fortunately i have the radiator, fan, shroud, and all the belts off anyway so i have plenty of room to get my hands in there. i have another thread going but this started because my crank pulled bolts snapped off in the balancer. i got that squared away and snapped this damn bolt during reassembly. its the little things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300Dman View Post
It has been a long time since I messed with the Alternator but you to bend the bracket some but before you do that remove the Belts from the Alternator Pulley so you can pivot the Alternator around more.

There is cheaper places to buy the Alternator Bolt. Also there is a much cheaper Fix to replace that bolt.
You stick a slighly longer regular Bolt through and Eye Bolt and use a Nylock type Locking Nut on the Threaded protion of the Eye Bolt to replace the regular adjusting Nut (not needed if you can find a Metric Eye Bolt that matches the threads of the stoc Alternator adjustin Nut).
I will search my notes to see if I have another thread or picture.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by benztech123 View Post
fortunately i have the radiator, fan, shroud, and all the belts off anyway so i have plenty of room to get my hands in there. i have another thread going but this started because my crank pulled bolts snapped off in the balancer. i got that squared away and snapped this damn bolt during reassembly. its the little things....
There is 2 things that commonly break them; the Adjustment Nut being rusted to the threads; the next is not loosening the Nut on the Large Bolt before you start Turning the Adjustment Nut.

A Never Seeze type compound on the Threads helps keep it from Rusting.

Old Benzes really like attention!
#9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by benztech123 View Post
Okay, thanks for the links. The eye bolt fix looks slick, but even to do that I still have to get the old adjuster nut off the bracket. This is a rediculos design. How in the hell did they get nut in there in the first place? Put it in and bend the bracket to old it? Seems very labor intensive...
The Mercedes Engineers clearly have different ideas than the other Car Makers; with mixed results.

I think Mercedes believed for the whole life of the Car it was going to be taken care of by Mercedes Trained Mechanics.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
trained to bend things out of the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300Dman View Post
The Mercedes Engineers clearly have different ideas than the other Car Makers; with mixed results.

I think Mercedes believed for the whole life of the Car it was going to be taken care of by Mercedes Trained Mechanics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.