Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Trouble closing doors

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Boot Shrew 
#1 ·
Im having trouble closing the doors at average strength, I mean, I really have to slam the doors to close them. I know my weather stripping is old, worn and cracked but I was wondering if there may be something wrong with the latching mechanism. My door locks function just fine, when the door handles from the outside and inside are pulled the doors open just fine, the trouble is shutting them. Sometimes I have to slam them 3 or 4 times to get it right. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

#2 · (Edited)
You probably need these...that little plastic/rubber nub at the bottom gets old and broken rendering this part useless.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/imageexpand.aspx?imageurl=../secure/PartImages/1237200104.jpg

From experience, I've tried pulling these from salvage yards with some but limited success. That said, next time I need one, I'm buying new.

You'll also want to source the securing bolts as you will most likely ruin them during removal. Be prepared to drill those things out. No offense to your tool wielding ability, just speaking from experience.

There are plenty of threads on the topic of installation of this part. It's a little tricky but something very DIY'ish.

#3 ·
ktesler on PP taught me a good trick to remove these. Use an allen driver instead of using an allen key. Put the driver (it's a 5mm) in the bolt then whack the other end with a hammer a few times, just to shock the bolt. Then it's almost the easiest bolt to get off the car.

I've only stripped one of the heads out and ended up drilling it since using this method. I just pulled four good ones from an SD and now my car is WONDERFUL again.

#6 ·
It's called a striker latch. The P/N is 1237200104 for the LH doors, 1237200202 for the RH doors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.