Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

my 300cd got flooded...but she never fails me

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  shweebies 
#1 ·
today at work it poured and my car as you can see got flooded pretty bad. but started rite up and chugged away. some of the other cars didnt have the same luck. when they warned me not to start my car, i said my cars a diesel its ok. she did leave a trail behind of soot coming out the tail pipe but i guess it needed a little cleaning. just another 123 story to add to the history books to why we drive them with pride.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
flooded 300d

Nice photo! Glad you made it out.

#3 ·
As a precaution you might want to give the underchassis a thorough inspection. The differential could fill up with water (water level seems pretty close to the differential vent port), the alternator bearing could start going bad after a while, etc.

Did water get inside the cabin?

#6 ·
mbeige...thanks for the precautions...i havent checked anything but made sure everything electrical was working fine and vaccumed my car twice yesterday to make sure i got all the water out. monday i plan on putting the car on the lift and changing the tie rods so it will be a good time to check everything underneath. i have been over looking the differential fluid...last time i discovered i did have a small diff. leak. i got a list of things i need to change. but you know these cars always got something else that requires more attention... but none the less i do appreciate you knowledge and concern.

#8 ·
OK. This thread has me sold on getting an MB diesel. I'd like to be able to fit three little kids in the back if needed. I'm not getting rid of my Ridgeline. I've got a crapload of 8x16 et11 wheels I'd love to find a home for too. w123 Coupes are very cool, but rare and pricey. The extra doors can be useful too. So I guess coupes are out. Reliability + fuel consumption are primary reasons for wanting a Diesel. So the benefits of an SD or SDL w126 are somewhat limited in comparison (I think). The old w114 -w115 cars don't have the turbo but sure look cool. I think a wagon with a third row of seats would be awesome. In fact there's a basically abandoned diesel wagon in my neighborhood, on which I've been considering leaving a note. Whatever I get will be exposed to the elements since my 450sl take the garage space. I'd like to make this a daily driver, and use it for work driving. So I'll definitely want it to be very reliable. Rust free would be great, but it would also be nice to get something so cheap I don't care if the body is rusting apart... I'm not afraid of grinding, por15, bondo, an spray-paint. Any tips on how to find what I'm looking for? There are so many out there from $500 to $5000. Suggestions on what to seek and avoid?

#9 ·
First off, I am assuming you have kids in carseats. If not, you can ignore me. :)

I think getting 3 carseats or boosters in the back seat of a 123 sedan would be a chore and a half. I have britax boulevard seat in the center spot and care barely sit next to it and my son props his feet up on the back of the front seats. A wagon or an SD would be the way to go. I am not familiar with the wagon really. But the SDs have waaaay more leg room in the back seat and seem wider. Just so you know the outside shoulder/lap belts don't lock off when you pull them all the way out, so you will have to get some lock off clips for those. You can buy them off of amazon. I have just one carseat in my 300d and I keep it in the center. I haven't yet installed a top tether ring, but will shortly. You would also have to think about doing the same.

Also I don't think you want to go too rusty since it hinders the safeness of the car in case of a crash. I think the SDLs started in 1986 and I heard that the engines aren't as reliable as the ones in the SDs. I am a newbie owner so don't have a ton of advice. But I am pretty serious when it comes to kid safety in cars. :D

#10 ·
i agree with shweebies, the 126 sd would be the way to go for a family car. i have to admit the 123 sedan does have an uncomfortable back seat...buuuuuut, the 123 wagon is something i got my eyes set on next. i believe as a 123 owner you become wiser and mature with these cars you start to think the wagon probably has the most character. its got the sounds of a a big truck, the ability of an suv and the looks of luxury distinction all while just being a simple wagon. it just has that command presence. i do have the warn the these cars do require not just your, but the family's patience. but trust me great memories are to come. my 6 yr old daughter loves to help me work on my coupe, even tho she cant hold the light straight or i have to clean her hand prints off the windows afterwards, i never turn down her little helping hands.

#11 ·
i agree with shweebies, the 126 sd would be the way to go for a family car. i have to admit the 123 sedan does have an uncomfortable back seat...buuuuuut, the 123 wagon is something i got my eyes set on next. i believe as a 123 owner you become wiser and mature with these cars you start to think the wagon probably has the most character. its got the sounds of a a big truck, the ability of an suv and the looks of luxury distinction all while just being a simple wagon. it just has that command presence. i do have the warn the these cars do require not just your, but the family's patience. but trust me great memories are to come. my 6 yr old daughter loves to help me work on my coupe, even tho she cant hold the light straight or i have to clean her hand prints off the windows afterwards, i never turn down her little helping hands.
Can I just say, that is so sweet (I am allowed to be sappy, I am a mom). My son calls the 300D HIS car. He is 2.5 years old and he already loves it. :eek:

I just realized, you are in Corpus. You got that much rain in Corpus???? Lucky dog. Send some up towards Dallas please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.