starting problem 85 280E - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
starting problem 85 280E

by messerschmidtt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:46 pm

I gave my 85 280E to my regular merc mechanic in may last year, to have a new fuel pump fitted. The work has not been done, due to the fact that he has had some family problems (his wife is very sick), and as a result, he has been unable to do anything.. and the car has been sitting outside, but undercover, for over a year without being started. He lives in busselton, WA., and I live in margaret river, around 40kms away. He initially fitted a second hand fuel pump at my place in order to get the car running, to drive it to his workshop in busselton, for the repair job.
Recently, I have decided to bring the car back to margaret river. The car wont start. The fuel pump relay is missing..I dont know why, but I suspect the mechanic removed it to put in his own car..who knows, the man is a thief and a liar, and I cant get any sense out of him anymore.
I bypassed the control(fuel pump) relay, and attempted to start it but no luck.
I then suspected that perhaps the injection valves of the k-jetronic fuel injection system were blocked, so I took them out and sent them to be overhauled/cleaned/checked at a trusted fuel injection repair establishment..reinstalled them in the car(they were blocked, according to the fuel injection people)..but still, no start..no cold start..hmmmm.
yes, ok, so what now..It seems to be a fuel control pressure problem, I think..
Do I have a problem with : the control plunger in the fuel distributor
the warm up regulator
maybe the cold start valve is not working
As the control (fuel pump)relay, also provides power to the heating element in the warm up regulator, ie., it helps with the appropiate fuel control pressure in the system, depending on starting conditions, do I need to get a new fuel pump relay before I can expect to get the car started, at all?
Can anyone help me here?..Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the fuel injection system than I am?
I would welcome any ideas or troubleshooting suggestions here..thanks
messerschmidtt

E-mail messerschmidtt
messerschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

what is this guys name?..he sounds like a total asss
Old 08-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

laszlo matus..has claimed to be a bonafide mercedes mechanic..but it turns out he is actually only a european car wrecker..uno..a 2nd hand spare parts man..dealing in stolen cars and parts mainly
Old 08-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: '84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, '05 Mazda 6 SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by messerschmidt View Post
by messerschmidtt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:46 pm

I gave my 85 280E to my regular merc mechanic in may last year, to have a new fuel pump fitted. The work has not been done, due to the fact that he has had some family problems (his wife is very sick), and as a result, he has been unable to do anything.. and the car has been sitting outside, but undercover, for over a year without being started. He lives in busselton, WA., and I live in margaret river, around 40kms away. He initially fitted a second hand fuel pump at my place in order to get the car running, to drive it to his workshop in busselton, for the repair job.
Recently, I have decided to bring the car back to margaret river. The car wont start. The fuel pump relay is missing..I dont know why, but I suspect the mechanic removed it to put in his own car..who knows, the man is a thief and a liar, and I cant get any sense out of him anymore.
I bypassed the control(fuel pump) relay, and attempted to start it but no luck.
I then suspected that perhaps the injection valves of the k-jetronic fuel injection system were blocked, so I took them out and sent them to be overhauled/cleaned/checked at a trusted fuel injection repair establishment..reinstalled them in the car(they were blocked, according to the fuel injection people)..but still, no start..no cold start..hmmmm.
yes, ok, so what now..It seems to be a fuel control pressure problem, I think..
Do I have a problem with : the control plunger in the fuel distributor
the warm up regulator
maybe the cold start valve is not working
As the control (fuel pump)relay, also provides power to the heating element in the warm up regulator, ie., it helps with the appropiate fuel control pressure in the system, depending on starting conditions, do I need to get a new fuel pump relay before I can expect to get the car started, at all?
Can anyone help me here?..Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the fuel injection system than I am?
I would welcome any ideas or troubleshooting suggestions here..thanks
messerschmidtt

E-mail messerschmidtt
Quote:
what is this guys name?..he sounds like a total asss
Quote:
laszlo matus..has claimed to be a bonafide mercedes mechanic..but it turns out he is actually only a european car wrecker..uno..a 2nd hand spare parts man..dealing in stolen cars and parts mainly

OLD & RETIRED

'96 E320
'79 450 SEL
'78 300 CD
xlimodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 78 450 SL, 84 500sec (Euro), 94 E320 Wagon and 85 500 SEL (Real AMG, 5.4, Pentas & Body Kit)
Lifetime Premium Member
280TE getting it going again.

Hi,

I recently purchased a 280TE from Long Island that had not been running in 2 years.

I fixed it by

1) Installing good Fuel Pump Relay - Burnt out tracks from TD Signal
2) Installing New fuel Pump and Filter - Probably not needed
3) Replacing Fuel Distributer - Plunger Stuck
4) Replacing all the injectors - Rusted shut running on two cylinders

This got it going and I was able to start it but the fuel economy was pretty bad.

5) Replaced WUR with another from the wrecking yard.

It seems to run OK now.

I hope this helps you out.

78 450 SL
83 280 TE 5 speed stick with Recaros
83 500 SEC
85 500 SEL Limo
85 280 TE AMG (AMG Engine, Pentas and Full Body Kit)
85 500 SEL Real AMG - 5.4 with Solid Lifters and AMG Cams, Full body kit (Version V) and Pentas, AMG Shift Knob for Automatic transmission, AMG Steering Wheel with Leather Covering, Blaupunkt Bamberg and AMG Speaker System, AMG 300 Kmh / 190 Mph Speedo, Full Black Colour coding and Wood Door Trims
94 E320 Wagon - Parts Hauler
jonwhite99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class