Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Driveshaft Play...

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  300Dman 
#1 ·
... and no, I don't mean the faux band from LOST.

I was continuing my search for rust under my 300D this weekend and while she was up on ramps I checked the driveshaft. Flex discs look good. I tried to move it forward/backward and there was little, if any movement. When I tried to turn the shaft, it would roll about a half inch. If I rolled it with some force, I could get a nice clink when it stopped. This is consistent with an occasional noise I get when putting her in reverse.

Is this anything I should be worried about? If so, what do I need to check more thoroughly?

#2 ·
If the Parking Brakes are applied and you twist the Drive Shaft it has to stop somewhere. It is either going to make contact inside of the trans on the parts that Lock it in Park of inside of the Differential.
But, here is the worst part. If someone said it was an abnormal sound inside of the Transmission; what could be done?

If it was the U-joint or the Differential; both are more serviceable than the Transmission is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.