Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Starter Emergency in San Jose!

785 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  300Dman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Car is 1984 300TD.

A couple of days ago I would turn the ignition key and nothing would happen for several seconds, then the starter would engage and start the engine with no problem.

I was about to do a roadtrip from LA to San Jose, and because it was an emergency, I had a local shop "fix" the problem. They told me I had to replace the starter and that was the only option, because you could not replace the solenoid, nor is there a relay in the system that could be an issue.

So, several hundred dollars later, I'm at a McDonalds in the middle of nowhere enroute to San Jose, and the same thing happens. I get the car started by holding the key for a few seconds and am on my way.

Now I'm in San Jose with no idea when the car will fail. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it does not.

So, questions:

1) Can you replace the solenoid?

2) Is there a relay that could be the problem?

3) What else should I be checking for besides the safety switch?

4) Any recommended repair shops in south San Jose near the Evergreen area?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi All,

Car is 1984 300TD.

A couple of days ago I would turn the ignition key and nothing would happen for several seconds, then the starter would engage and start the engine with no problem.

I was about to do a roadtrip from LA to San Jose, and becasue it was emergency, I had a local shop "fix" the problem. They told me I had to replace the starter and that was the only option, becasue you could not replace the solenoid and there is no relay in hte system that could be an issue.

So, several hundred dollars later, I'm at a McDonalds in the middle of nowhere enroute to San Jose, and the same thing happens. I get the car started by holding the key for a few seconds and am on my way.

Now I'm in San Jose with no idea when the car will fail. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it does not.

So, questions:

1) Can you replace the solenoid?

2) Is there a relay that could be the problem?

3) What else should I be checking for besides the safety switch?

4) Any recommended repair shops in south San Jose near the Evergreen area?

Thanks in advance.
See the Pic. You can get your Starter Cranking by jumping the Terminals show in pic. That Terminal Block is in front of the Battery on the Fender Well.

It is safer to use a clip on type Remote Starter Switch that is sold in any Auto Parts Store to clip onto the Terminal Screws but the jumping can ge done with a section of Wire.
(This will also start you Engine so make sure the Transmission is in Park before doing the above.)
If you Starter Cranks OK doing the above you have some other problem.

The Neutral Safety Switch, the Ignition Switch or loose or corroded wire connections.
There is no other Relay in the Starter circuit.

Trouble shoot the Neutral Safety Switch
“First make sure the selector is in P or N. Cycle through all the gear positions and try in N. If it does not start in P but starts in other Gears or N your Neutral Safety Switch is on the way to being no good.

To bypass the Neutral Saftey switch; if your car starts after being bypassed your Neutral Safety Switch is no good.
Above the accelerator pedal is a 4-wire plug with a harness that runs down to under the accelerator pedal and to the transmission tunnel. Unplug it, jumper across the two purple wires in the female plug and try to start again. If it starts, you need a NSS.”

I do not know if your cars wiring is the same but I got part of this quote from another Forum concerning a no cranking problem with an 84 300D.

Attachments

#4 ·
^^ That is probably the safest way to turn the motor over. I have a cheap Harbor Freight unit that I use when I do a valve adjustment.

But in a pinch, use a rubber coated handle crescent wrench or vice grips. Just touch the end of the wrench at the points on the junction box that 300Dman shows in the picture and it should turn over.

#7 ·
First turn the key to the glow plug position. Then open the hood and go to the junction box. As you stated, use a wire, (or wrench, any metal that will have good electrical flow) to bridge the two connectors. Engine should turn over.

Try putting it in neutral and starting it. Does your shifter rattle?
Yes you can try that to rule it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.