Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

oil for both gas & diesel engines

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  areusche 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought two jugs of LIQUI MOLY 0W-40 full synthetic oil, they are expensive!
Question:
Why it says the oil can be used for both diesel and gas engine? In my mind, diesel engine oil can not be used in gas engine, and vice versa.

#2 ·
Hmm... That sounds fishy to me. Personally, I wouldn't run oil that says it can be run in both gas and diesel engines. It's like car soap that claims to be a wax at the same time. It just doesn't add up. I'll stick with diesel-rated oil for my diesel :thumbsup:.

I see it's 0W-40 so obviously it's good for extreme cold.

#4 ·
If the bottle says it's specified for both diesel and gas, it probably is and you don't need to worry? What does the ACEA engine oil specification say?

#9 ·
From what I can piece together, Liqui-Moly 0W40 is labeled to meet MB 229.1 spec. Since this is a W123 forum, that should make it ok for W123 engines. But for later models - maybe 1999 and up - I'd definitely check the owner's manual. Somewhere around that time MB229.3 became the minimum, later it went to MB229.5. These oil specs are backward compatible, so it's generally ok to use newer oils (higher spec number) in older cars. But not the other way around.

//greg//

#10 ·
As long as meet MB specification, any types of oil should be fine?
so what is diesel engine grade oil? *W-40 is diesel grade?

Never seen any Liqui Molly for sale here, but everyweek there is different brand synthetic oil for sale.
This will save some time and money on oil changes for my two diesels.

#12 ·
I've been using Liqui Moly 5w-40. I found it in NAPA last year and since have run more than 4k miles with this lubricant in my 617 (300D). It almost cut engine smoke down to nothing on heavy throttle applications in highway drives and therefore less top ups due to less oil burns. I only add 0.5-1 bottle between my 3.5kmile oil change intervals. Also wrote an email to the German company and learned this 5W-40 product does meet Mercedes/Diesel specs but they actually recommended a more specific product which is not sold here in the U.S.
Try different brands and determine which works best for your engine. Each of us have unique situations with respect to leaks, compression, climate and drive styles so there cannot be one oil that makes us all happy.

#13 ·
Diesel motor oil can definitely be used in gasoline engines. I was using Rotella 5w40 in the family mini van before it was totalled in an accident.

It comes down to how well the oil can handle soot. Diesel motor oils are meant to properly handle high soot content whereas gas oils do not. There is also a ZDDP zinc directive or what not that can also help older gasoline cars with a tappet style camshaft. I believe that is what it is called, please correct me if I am wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.