Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Different quality spring donuts

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  MBZ300CD 
#1 · (Edited)
I bot my replacement donuts for my springs.

The front are thick and black with the MB number part of the rubber. Nice quality.

The rears are much thinner rubber, shows crack lines and all white chalky stuff on them. There are numbers but are hard to read and it is lesser quality.

What's going on here?

#3 · (Edited)
I ordered them from (deleted). I thought I was ordering OEM.

The box came from a semi- local MB dealership.

The front one is obviously OEM. Thick walled with #s MB something in raised rubber.

The rears are thinner rubber. The side walls (rounded side walls are thinner and more wobbly.)

I will work on getting pictures up.

I also ordered a rear window seal. Should this have an MB number on it?

#4 ·
It depends on which option you selected. Some sites mention the brand name of the product they're selling which makes them popular to enthusiasts. Some sites offer multiple items with OE and OEM brands.

If you picked an OE (MB w/ star & P/N) item, you should get the same item. If you picked the same OE unit but an aftermarket or OEM (non MB per se) then you should return it for the correct item.

Do you have a link to the rear spring pad you purchased?

#5 ·
Do you have a link to the rear spring pad you purchased?
Order Detail
Purchased Items:
Qty Description Brand Sku Price Total
Vehicle:Not specified
1 123 670 05 39 Rear $154.00 Spring Shims 115 325 22 44 Rear 9.5 Mm
$6.75 Ea 123 321 13 84 Front 8.0 Mm $4.00 Ea All Oem Parts......
SPECIAL ORDER 022211 $175.50 $175.50
Subtotal: $175.50
Shipping - UPS Ground Residential: $0.00
Total Weight (1.0lbs. ): Sales Tax: $0.00
*Order Total:* *$175.50***

#9 ·
Is it strange that the white ish one has a 115... part number?

Rubber from a rubber tree is white. I'd be more concerned about fitment and proper part # rather than a little bit of white stuff on the thing. I've seen that on a bunch of stuff both automotive and non automotive.

#10 ·
Not so strange, I'm replacing all the fuel lines on a '86 560SL. It had part numbers from 114, 107, 123, and 126.
The white stuff is probably a mold release, or something to keep all those hot rubber parts from sticking together
when they come out of the press.

Fish

#11 · (Edited)
I figured it out.

Both front and rear are OEM parts.
But the rear was put on a mercedes and returned.

That is why there is a nub missing on one of the donuts. That is why there is fine cracking on the rubber and slight discoloration. That is why the logo is hard to read and unevenly worn down.

Somebody puts a one nub donut shims on a mb and returns it. The MB dealership accept it back but it has been used. So some stuff from the car gets on the rubber and 20 or so years later it looks different than new.

This is not OEM new old stock. This is OEM somewhat used old stock.

This is not on the company i bought it from because they thought it was new.

it was a mistake of the mb dealership accepting slightly used parts back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.