Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Anyone know what this wire is under glovebox?

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  240_benz 
#1 ·
So, I took the passenger legshield off to access the blower, as I have intermittent fan action, and I found this:

I have no idea where it goes, or if it's aftermarket, but i goes SOMEWHERE, lol. Anyone know?

PS, is there a fuse, besides the one under the hood, I should check to see if there blower is just not getting power?

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
for those of us who grew up in that time I would bet it was for a cb radio in the 70-80 time cb radios were the craze like cell phones are now

#6 ·
So, I took the passenger legshield off to access the blower, as I have intermittent fan action...

...is there a fuse, besides the one under the hood, I should check to see if there blower is just not getting power?
I'm 98% positive that is a CB antenna connector.

As for your fan issue, the fuse is always a good thing to check, but I'm betting $$ that the brushes in your motor are worn down to mere nubs. Do a search, there are lots of threads here and at pe@chp@rts on how to r/r the fan motor brushes.

#8 ·
I have one as well. From my reading it is a cable for the optional phone. It seems that even cars without the phone got the cable...

#9 ·
Haha, funny, thanks! A CB would be cool, but I'll pass on a corded brick phone. ;)

I think I need to do some blower maintenance -- I banged on it with a screwdriver and she fired right up. Guess I have a loose wire in there I need to re-solder. While it's out, I'll replace the brushes.

Strangely, I've thought about getting rid of my car, but it's the ease of fixing quirky issues that keeps me on track.

#10 ·
Judging from the size of the connector against your fingers I'd say it's a CB antenna connector. On the fan, you should also check the resistors that should be somewhere near the switch. Failing or open resistors sometimes cause intermitent problems with the fan.:cool:

#11 ·
I'm not sure about Euro-spec W123's but all US models were pre-wired for a car phone. The vast majority of W123 buyers here didn't not opt for the car phone. If you follow the path of that cable it runs to the trunk. It should work just fine for a CB radio, which is what I plan to use it for once I find a nice affordable rig to install.

#13 ·
I tend to agree, with about 98% probability that this is a CB connector. Even in the early days of car phones I think they would have used higher frequency connectors like TNC or N type, not the good old PL-259. I may be wrong since I haven't worked with the really old radio-telephones or car phones, but that would be such a specific item that it would be custom installed, not a harness in every vehicle.

Sorry, in a former life I was an electronics tech.

Paul

#14 ·
Your issue with tapping the blower and having it fire up is 98% of the time related to worn brushes...

#15 ·
My '83 has one as well. The 123's I find in the yards from the 80's almost always have them, an '82 240D had everything but the handset remaining in it.

#17 ·
^ I know nothing about those old fashioned car phones. How do they get service? Do the big name providers (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc...) provide service or what?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.