Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New Owner Introduction Thread - With Pics

964 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Boardmonger 
#1 ·
Hi all! :wave:

I just wanted to post up an introduction thread, and some pics. I have lurked on this board for a few years, knowing full well that some day I'd own a W123 when the time was right and the right car came along. I have learned a lot on here, and now that I'm a 300D owner, I joined the forum and here's my car.

It's a 1982 300D, white paint on Sienna MB-tex interior. 225k miles. It's in great condition, as it has lived it's entire life in southern CA, mostly kept in a garage. The stack of papers that came with it is incredible. I have almost all records from each owner, going back to the first service. Original manuals and all books from the dealer are intact, even the first aid kid was still in there (although the ointments had exploded and crystallized). Tool kit, original stereo, etc. All windows and door locks work, also sunroof works.

From what I can piece together, the original owners were a wealthy couple who had a stable of Benz's and this was only driven occassionally. I believe they lived in the high desert. Then it was sold to a very successful Hollywood special effects guy. He's done the effects on a lot of major blockbusters going back to the nineties. Being a Seinfeld fan, I got a chuckle out of that as it reminded me of a certain episode ;)

The paint is very good, a little bit of rust starting under the rear window seal, and under the gas cap. The interior is excellent. I'll have it detailed after it goes to the shop this week for a few known issues to be dealt with. I'll probably post some other stuff in here to keep track of what I have done, and need to do. It's already sitting at my local indie MB shop, to address a few known issues like a borderline-significant oil leak.

Haven't even gotten through all the records yet, but I know that recently a few major things were done: new radiator, rebuilt transmission, new rear axle.

Pictures are worth a thousand words though, so here goes. I'm also posting some more photos in the official photos thread. The photos are in late afternoon sun, so they have a yellow hue, the car is whiter than the pics appear.

Cheers!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks!

Update:

Car is in right now, valve adjustment, some hoses being replaced, oil pan being banged back flat (had a big dent), oil leaks addressed, (that includes an engine cleaning to help find other sources), fuel filters, a torn boot, and another gasket they found folded over (forget exactly which part it was on).

Looking forward to getting it back, it should run even smoother now as they found the valves to be fairly out of spec.

#6 ·
Was the car close to what the previous owner advertised? I know a lot of cars on CR or other sites...well, not exactly in the condition described.

Hope it was a smooth transaction.

#7 ·
Lovely! I think that has to be one of my favorite color combos. That interior color is the best.

Sounds very similar to my car, which now, 6 years later, is still going great. I look forward to more photos!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.