BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 82 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
300D rescue

Last month I bought an 82 300D that had sat in a feild for about two years, at the time it had a dead battery, frozen brakes, a very lumpy idle and would not shut down without using the manual shut-off on the throttle linkage. The previous owner told me that the climate control would blow its fuse with the a.c. belt in place, so he removed the belt; he claimed the defroster and heat still worked fine with the belt removed.
I have since washed all of the black gweege from the engine bay, freed the brakes,replaced pads in all four corners, new rotors and wheel-bearings up front, resurfaced the rear rotors, replaced a leaking fuel line at the fuel tank, replaced the fuel primer pump (old one leaked externally), replaced the fuel filters, sealed a leaking banjo fitting on the f.i. pump. and have turned up the idle speed at the f.i.pump, checked the rack dampener bolt (tuned all the way in. I put a hand vacuum pump to the the f.i. pump shut-off dingus and
the motor shuts right off, if I turn the key off the motor dives into a lumpy idle as if its trying to do its job; I think I may have turned the idle speed up so high that the shutoff cant work. is this possible? Also the a.c.c. unit seems to do nothing, no fan, no heat ,no defrost, no nothing. I have the driver side knee bolster off and can see that the vacuum tubes to and from the ign. switch are intact but there is one black vacuum tube about 8 inches into the firewall that has been orphaned, I have no idea where it goes nor do I see anything disconected. Is that tube why the a.c.c. does nothing an any position or combination? And/or is this diconected tube contributing to the no key shut-down issue. The door locks are kind of intermittent too , if that helps; how can I isolate the lock system?

Sorry about the long post I have been searching , but have found a little more than fragmented information on theese issues. thanks in advance.

Last edited by Grif900; 09-20-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:01 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: -1985 300d (champagne/palomino 133k) -1979 300d (dead parts car)
the unconnected vacuum hose thru the firewall is a vent line. leave it unplugged!
#3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:08 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyqnola View Post
the unconnected vacuum hose thru the firewall is a vent line. leave it unplugged!
Sounds like good news so far, I thought the cabin vent tube was a larger diameter tube.
thank you, does anyone have a propper vacuum diagram that shows both the engine and cabin side of the system/systems?
#4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 04:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: '83 300SD-daily driver '84 300CD-weekend car
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks for rescuing an example.

Yes, that is a vent line, so it's good.

You're probably going to have a bunch of critters in the fuel tank, keep an eye on the primary (clear, inline) fuel filter.

Usually the door locks develop a vacuum leak in that system, as you mention, they are iffy. This will not allow enough vac to get to the shut off actuator. What is your idle speed, rpm wise?

Check the fuses, as a matter of fact, replace them all, they may look fine, but once out, the ends can deteriorate. This is not visible by merely doing a visual inspection in situ.

The push button unit itself has a tendency to fail at a high rate. Search "cold solder/s".

While the lower kick panel is off, feel around the ignition key area for any oil. When you used a hand held pump to shut the engine off, did you notice any oil in that line?

Keep us posted.

'83 SD-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
#5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 05:40 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Today I heated and bent a couple of not to horrible 14 mm. wrenches into a fine pair of M-B valve adjustment wrenches and adjusted the valves and replaced the cover gasket with a nice non-leaking new one. I suspect that the prerson that designed that cover had something to do with the design of the Iron Lady of Nurenburg, I had to swear at the thing with a filthly string of obsenenitys in German before it went into place with the new gasket attached all around it's two mile circumference. Anyway, the thing revs up faster and runs way better but I still have a lumpy idle. I guess I will have to go after the fuel system. Is diesel purge worth its beans? I have a hard time with snake-oils and their salesmen. Worth a mention is my accidental discovery that the engine does shut off perfectly by turning the ignition switch fully counter clockwise but only if all of the doors are locked. Cool safety failure, Huh? I've got a used ccu and fog lamp on the way via Ebay, If those items work out I will be two tires away from a decent runner for under $500.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 05:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2009
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
sounds like you have a leak in one of the locking pods.. time to get out the old vacuum pump and track down which one...

1990 Silver 300TE -Sold Loved the wagon, hated the spark plugs
1985 Grey 380SE Diesel Conversion, 2.47 rear end, ABS -Sold
1979 Silver 300D "The Silver Bullet" -Sold and sorely missed
#7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 07:09 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Yay confetti!!!

Today I tinkered with the Doctor Seuss throttle linknage parts and cleaned and gresed all of the little balljoints all SMOOTH. and repaired the accellerator linkage mount with a blast of red brakekleen and a healthy smear of gorilla super glue, Wow! good as new and garanteed until it falls apart agian. Idle has improved significantly, but I think diesel purge may well be the best way to go before I plunk down $250+ for Bosio nozzles and a new set of heatsheilds. Any input from people that have used one or both would be greatly appriciated. I ordered a new mid muffler because I cant weld rust back together and hope that I can conect it to the "custom" straight pipe that the PO had settled for,
My used accu arrived today and I tested out right quick, I set it to defrost mode and pushed the top fan button and grinned from ear to ear when the blower spooled right up and mouse bedding confetti filled the forward regions of the cabin. Life is good despite them varmints (they have snice moved on).
Then [I] insalled a decent amber fog lamp wich works great, and looks like a fair match for thre other side. So another step forward. Not a bad day just tinkering aroung I'd say.

Last edited by Grif900; 11-02-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: wrong nozzle brand name.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 07:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Does sound like a productive day.

I have done a diesel purge, to no effect, but I do this with all "new" MB diesels, it makes me feel better. It isn't expensive and you may have better performance.

'83 SD-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
#9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:43 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
Does sound like a productive day.

I have done a diesel purge, to no effect, but I do this with all "new" MB diesels
Does this mean the product had no effect one of the multiple times you used it?, or you used it one time only?
#10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

As I recall, there was no effect any time I used it. Seems the cars I buy have not been abused. I did do this twice to the SD, again, no difference, all other cars once only.

'83 SD-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class