Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Transmission R&R...should I attempt?

794 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  444 
#1 ·
I just found out the horrible news that my trusty '80 300d's tranny is shot. It went out days after picking up a w124 TD wagon for a steal... a little jealousy or an unfortunate coincidence you be the judge.

It's not going to be worth it financially to drop $1500+ on a rebuild or shop replacement.

Alternatively, I'm considering trying to do the replacement myself. There is someone local selling a low mileage one for $250, so technically I could make it happen with very little $.

The big question is: how involved is the removal and replacement process? I have beginner - intermediate DIY repair skills (depending who you're comparing to). Am I a fool to attempt to go it alone? How much time should I plan for it to take? What kind of set up do I need? Special tools? Is there a guide or step by step available online anywhere (looks like Mercedes source has one). I searched Benzworld posts here, but didn't see any step by steps.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as always.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.