Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Manual sunroof handle/trim broken

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  sd300td 
#1 ·
The first time I tried to open my manual sunroof, the chromed (plastic?) trim broke right off. I suspect it hadn't been used in years. Anyway, I had to close it right away b/c the wind got under the fabric where the trim fell down and was blowing the headliner fabric loose up there. Would LOVE to find a way to replace this trim piece or know what others have done to make use of these sunroofs. Has anyone put on a wind blocker on the roof to make it less windy? Is it worth it to do so? I'm not big on that look but was so looking forward to the sunroof... It's an '83 300 TD wagon.

Can't seem to find any part info for that...Thanks!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum! I would suggest that you get a free subscription to the Mercedes-Benz Electronic Parts Catalog. It should contain all the part numbers you need. Information for US spec cars is free for US residents. If you want info for non US spec cars, it'll cost you a little bit. Here's the link to the EPC.
EPC-net Online - Subscription Step 1 of 3

#4 · (Edited)
Are you talking about the actual handle or the trim piece?

The trim piece cost something like $8 from the dealer... I actually searched salvage yards and the Internet endlessly for many months. Should've just called the dealer first, but I assumed the part would be $$.

There are two different versions of manual sunroof handle mechanisms. Both bolt right in to your car, but you won't be able to swap that chrome trim piece or the handle and vice versa.

The wind flapping around the headliner or sunroof panel isn't typical, with or without that trim piece in place. Make sure the fabric sunroof panel is tightly in place and don't try to remove that sunroof panel without first removing the sunroof handle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.