Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Hello all, starting restoration on my 1984 300cd

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mick D 
#1 ·
Well, I have been lurking around the forum lately and I am ready to start my restoration on my 1984 300cd turbo diesel.

I purchased this vehicle approximately one year ago with the plans of restoring it but I have been super busy over the last year so it has just been parked in my driveway.

It does run, seems to have a lot of power (this is my first mercedes), it shifts well and overall is a decent daily driver as is although it does have its issues.

I have a ton of questions but need to take it day by day, one step at a time.

So here we go. I need to get a new key, or possibly a new ignition switch. The key that came with the car is very worn down but works most of the time although sometimes when I insert the key into the switch it will not budge, the switch is in locked mode and the key just does not fit right. I went to a local locksmith to get a new key made and they told me that the key I have is actually made for Mazdas. So, I did a little research in hopes of finding a key code and I was told to remove the passenger door panel, then remove the door lock and the code would be there. I have gotten as far as removing the panel and attempting to remove the lock mechanism but I am having no luck. Any help here would be appreciated.

In addition to the key issue, the passenger window will not go all the way up, the window motor does work both up and down but appears to get jammed up about 1 inch from the top. I assume this is a window regulator issue. Again, any help with this issue and possibly guiding me as to where to find parts concerning this issue would be appreciated.

I have limited time but I plan on working on it every day until completed so I think is a good start. Eventually, I plan on replacing the A/C system, some interior trim pieces, figuring out what is causing a battery issue (most likely the alternator), cleaning or replacing the wheels, and finally removing very light rust in two spots and having it repainted.

I have fallen in love with this car and want to get it back to its original state. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Howdy, I have an '84 CD.
Go to the dealer and get a proper key. You may need new locks, but start there. You will be asked to provide proof of ownership.
It does sound like a regulator problem. Pull the door panel and have a look see.
Check the voltage regulator on the back of the alternator. Two screws, it comes out. But get a replacement first.
You're confusing love with an addiction! Most here have the same problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.