Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Converting 300D to turbo aspiration

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jibsheet 
#1 ·
Hi,im new to the forum,and hope to get some good answers here.
I have been thinking about converting my old 83 300D to a turbo,and i am wondering what modifications will be needed.I know,i could always find a original turbo engine dirt cheap,but i havent seen any for sale here in norway.

So if someone who have done this before or have good knowledge on these old inline 5 cylinder diesels could tell me what will be needed in parts and modifications, i would sure apreciate it.Pictures would be very nice too

Also,excuse me poor technical english

Nikolai

#4 · (Edited)
You must have a turbo engine. Non-turbo and Turbo engines look allmost the same but are very different innside. If your 300D has a healthy body without terminal rust, just find a rusted out 300TDT/W123 at Finn.no and move the drivetrain over.. You'll save a lot of money beacause the donor car will have all the parts you need. Youll only need to buy "service parts" liker filters, belts and oils. Worst job is changing the rear diff (you can do that later), but everything is "bolt on" in your car.
Is your car manual or automatic trannsmission? are you at "merceforumet.com", a Norwegian forum?
Good luck! :)

#5 ·
Hello Nikolai ...

... I don't talk very much on forums but sounds like you're after what I'm after - more power and stay diesel. Spot on from the responses - you've probably got the wonderful late model 617.912 (82-85 euro non-turbo). I've got one in a CD, a 1979. Took it from an 85 middle eastern market 300D. This engine in the USA has the reputation of being probably the finest diesel engine (please gang, don't throw chairs :)) in terms of durability and reliability. It is so well matched to the tranny/diff ratios in the late non-turbo cars (especially the 84-85 non-turbos) I found that driving it is not THAT different from the 617.952 engine (300 CDT). I wouldn't touch it unless it were broken (I agree with all said - radiator, diff ratios, etc. etc. are all different). I've got a 78 CD with a bad motor that I'm now stewing some ideas around ... Ned

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.