DIY Turbo charger rebuild with some pics in progress - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1983 Mercedes 300DT 301500 miles
DIY Turbo charger rebuild with some pics

First off in order for your turbo to be rebuildable it has to be in a working condition - if your turbine housing or propeller housing or the turbine or propeller it self are damaged then it is not rebuildable. Or at least not with the kit I used.
What this rebuild does is - replaces the "piston rings" or seals that prevent oil from leaking out of the turbo bearings into the exhaust or intake and it replaces the bearings on the turbo which reduces the play in the shaft.
I did it because I had a lot of play in the shaft and the propeller was almost touching the housing and I also suspected that the seals might be bad and oil could be leaking out of the turbo bearings into the exhaust.

I got the kit from here:
eBay Motors: GARRETT T3 TURBO MAJOR/MASTER TURBOCHARGER REBUILD KIT (item 180340017675 end time Mar-31-09 12:14:01 PDT)
but there and the guy even offers free balancing.

Here it goes:
1. Take the turbo out of the car.
2. Spray all the bolts of the turbo with your favorite loosening stuff.
3. The turbo consists of turbine housing, cartridge and propeller housing. You will have to mark them with a punch or something like that so that when you put your turbo back together you can align it the way it was because any of these 3 parts can be rotated around the rest once the bolts are loose.
4. Loosen/remove the bolts which connect the cartridge and the turbine housing first.
5. Separate the cartridge from the turbine housing (you might have to put it in a wise and use a hammer to carefully separate them - you don't want to damage the shaft or the turbine it self).
6. Loosen/remove the bolts of the propeller housing and remove it.
7. Remove the nut of the propeller - I think it was 13mm at the turbine and 9mm is the propeller nut.
8. Take the propeller out. Mine was stuck really bad so I had to put it in a wise and I used a hammer to drive the shaft out of it (be careful as to not let the turbine hit the ground once the propeller is out of the shaft).
9. Remove the bolts of the cartridge cover and remove the cover (the aluminum round on top of which is the propeller)
10. Now that you have taken everything apart you can start replacing parts. The shaft with the turbine will take the bigger "piston ring".
11. The cartridge contains the sleeve bearings. To remove them you will have to remove the C clips (good luck with that).
12. After you have the two sleeves and the four c-clips out - install the new c clips and the sleeves (lube them with oil).
13. Slide the turbine and shaft in the cartridge (it will click when the "piston ring" seats in its place in the cartridge). If you tried doing that with the old ring - it barely clicks because the ring is so worn out.
14. Install the two new parts that go on the shaft on top of the cartridge (i do not know their names). Make sure you have the new ring installed on there too.
At some point send your stuff for balancing to that guy or somewhere else. I did not balance mine since I decided that the factory balance should be retained and I was lazy (that might be a bad mistake not to balance it).

15. Install the cartridge cover back (it will click when the new ring seats in its place). And put all the new bolts.
16. Install the propeller and the new nut.
17. Put and align everything back the way it was.
18. Install the turbo in the car.

You might notice that the shaft has some resistance when you try to spin it but once the engine lubes it with oil it frees up and it spins freely.
You will notice that there is very little play (little play is normal from what I hear

I have no results yet. The turbo does work great and is building boost. The problem is that I did not align it right when I was putting it back together so now because of that my oil return line is not making a tight connection and I have a huge oil leak (it is extremely bad) and I will be dealing with that as soon as I get a chance.

FIXED. I REALIGNED THE TURBO AND THERE IS NO MORE OIL LEAKS FROM THE RETURN LINE. IT WORKS GREAT. should last another 300k miles with no problem i hope.

This is the cartridge and in front of it is the new and the old sleeve and the c clips. The new bottom c clip is already in the cartridge.

Slide in the new sleeve.

New sleeve is in.

Install the new c clips and repeat everything for the back side of the cartridge.

The new parts that go on top of the cartridge. I do not know their names.

Installing the new piston ring on the shaft.

Installing the new piston ring on the part that goes on top of the cartridge.

Everything is installed back into the cartridge. The shaft is in and that round gasket is being replaced. After that you just install the cartridge cover.

This is just to help you understand better. I call the compressor wheel - propeller. Center housing - cartridge and back plate - cartridge cover.

1994 Mercedes C220 converted to run on Natural gas.
Bought at 138 200 miles, current odometer: 267 300 mi

Last edited by Tedd300DT; 03-28-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Tedd300DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 01:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Cartridge cover is installed

the compressor wheel and nut are installed

As you can see two of the studs are broken. I had bad oil leak from there. I have no idea how does oil even get in there since this is the exhaust. I think it either comes from blow by gases from the intake trough the hose and wastegate or just trough the rings of the turbo.
I have no idea why the studs are broken . I am just assuming that somebody tried to loosen the nuts and broke them. I assume they wanted to remove the cover in order to adjust the waste gate ( I am not even sure this is the way to adjust it).
I did not do a good job fixing that. I might need to get another turbine housing.

Does anybody have an idea why would I have oil in there and is the adjustment for the waste gate behind this cover?

The gasket thing is cracked.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 1985 300D Turbo
Wonderful diagrams. I suggest you upload your great work to the W123 wiki:
Main Page - Dieselbenz.info/Wiki

Btw, just want to make sure if you have a CA model that you've done the trap oxidizer campaign. Those traps wreck havoc on turbos.

Last edited by musides; 03-26-2009 at 06:58 AM.
musides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musides View Post
Btw, just want to make sure if you have a CA model that you've done the trap oxidizer campaign. Those traps wreck havoc on turbos.
I have no idea what a trap oxidizer is. I've only read about it on the forum and I think it is only for the 85 model. Mine is an 83 300DT and it is a california car but it has the normal air filter box and not the one that stays behind the passenger headlight. Like I said my turbo was working fine it just had a lot of play and I also think that the seals were bad and it was leaking oil in the exhaust. There was ALOT of burnt oil build up right behind the turbine so I am guessing that the ring on the shaft was leaking for sure.
I hope i will get a chance soon to fix the oil return so I can drive the car and see if there is any difference.

P.S. I just uploaded it in the wiki:
http://www.dieselbenz.info/wiki/inde...rrett_T3_Turbo
I will have to work later on it again and upload the pictures.

Last edited by Tedd300DT; 03-26-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 1985 300D Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd300DT View Post
I have no idea what a trap oxidizer is. I've only read about it on the forum and I think it is only for the 85 model.
Ah yes, my mistake. I had thought the traps covered 83 to 85. I've done some searching and confirmed your statement about 85 only.

Nice work on putting it on the wiki!
musides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: W123, W201
Good thread, nice write up.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1984 300TDt
I hate to resurrect old threads but for the sake of not having to start a new one (to many ppls guffaw so to speak).... here goes... I was inspecting my turbo in the car the other day and it has some end play. I started looking for kits to rebuild it before it gets so bad that it needs a total replacement. I found kits from your ebay source and also from gpopshop.com . It looks easy enough to do the rebuild and have it back together in a day. It just bolsters my confidence to see ppl rebuild them that have no clue what things are called (like me). Anyway now Im rambling.

As far as I know the boost adjustment is under the opposite cover of the wastegate.

Again great pics and write up
300TD1984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class