Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

240D clutch squeal

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Rmac58 
#1 ·
My '82 240D just started making a squealing noise whenever I push in the clutch pedal. It shifts fine and the squeal goes away as soon as I release the pedal. Any suggestions?

thanks.

#2 ·
I think your thrust bearing in the clutch has gone dry (no lubricant) the squeal will probably get worse, and you`ll need to pull out the transmission. Does anyone know if it`s possible to get spray lubricant into the thrust bearing? maybe take out the starter?
If the bearing gets really worn out you will feel vibration in the clutch pedal. Most of my cars have been automatics so i`m no expert on this..

#3 ·
I spoke with my local MBZ mechanic, he to suspected the thrust bearing. He also thinks that it may be related to the cold wet weather we have been having in SoCal. He suggested to see what happens once it warms and drys and if it continues he will see if he can get some lube onto it without pulling things apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.