Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

w115 VS w123 240D engine difference??

12K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Corvallis240D 
#1 ·
I have a 1974 w115 240D with the OM616 and I am trying to see what differs from the w123 240D which i believe also has a variant of the OM616. All I've been able to find is that it has a different cylinder head and a few more horses. What other parts are swappable. Vacuum pump? Injector pump? Alternator? Power steering pump? Any internals?

Thanks,
Chris

#3 ·
The OM616.916 (W115) and OM616.912 (W123) are the same block as I understand but the alternator, power steering, IP, oil filter, are all different. The vaccum pumps will interchange though, mine runs a vaccum pump from a 1979 car since the original destroyed itself while driving. The injectors are the same and I presume the pistons, connecting rods etc are the same as well. According to the parts catalogs some pistons were compatible up until 1982 depending on the transmission type.

#6 ·
The pump is working, but i think its blowing smoke. I've considered just replacing the diaphragm. Is that much less involved than a rebuild? Plus I might have a spare engine I can pull parts from and thought it might just be easier to swap.

Thanks

#7 ·
If it's blowing smoke it's just the diaphragm. Rebuilding is not necessary unless it's in bad shape and swapping the pumps may give you another torn diaphragm which would need to be replaced anyways.

#13 ·
Yes, both w123 and w115 240d were available in 1976. The w123 was introduced in the spring of '76 which was also the last year of the w115.

Keep in mind when starting, just because the salt shaker gets red, doesn't always mean the rest of your glow plugs are working properly, and be careful not to pull the knob off the starter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.