Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

When to replace Shocks

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  123Guy 
#1 ·
When should shocks be replaced on a W123. Is there any mileage or time interval after which they need replaced. Is there any objective method to check their performance life? thanks

#2 ·
When stopping if you rebound more than once in the front or back it is time to get them replaced. Bilstein HD is the way to go.

#3 ·
I'd recommend replacement if you look under there and see anything other than Blistein shocks.

:D:D:D

This is something I've been meaning to do and keep putting off. Blisteins absolutely transform the ride on these cars.

Good luck.

#4 · (Edited)
I replace the shocks (Bilstein ONLY!!), about every 80-90K miles. Even the best shocks are not "lifetime" and if you wait until your ride is squishy or one of the shocks starts to leak - you're way past the time. Good shocks and steering dampner are cheap insurance for proecting your front end from being pounded unmercilessly - then it starts to get really expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.