Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

someone talk me out of it.....

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  jtoma878 
#1 ·
well i have my euro headlights, straight from german ebay site, clear corners to match, & euro bumpers sitting in the garage.

now i want to paint her. her body is straight, with no dents or rust. paint is just tired. i have tried everything to bring back her shine, but got nothing. so now i'm going to paint.

here's what i need to be talked out of:

I WANT TO CHANGE THE COLOR!!! she's gold now with palmino interior, but i absolutely LOVE the maroon color with that interior!!!

here's the problem with it. since i only paid $500 for her (3 years ago) in the condition she's in now, i am not going to spend alot of money. i was thinking maaco or something, and not do the door jambs or engine compartment.

now all the #'s match on this car, and my better judgement is to just repaint her gold, and keep her a classic, but i mean CMON.... how nice would she look ina maroon dress!!!!!!!

all input is appreciated.....

thanks,

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I agree that maroon (cabernet) is a lovely color for the 300D. I've seen some beauties (like Nate's- Veloce 300TD). It would be my first choice for one of these. I assume the color of your interior is palomino or black on your gold car, and the exterior color you are looking at matches it well.

However gold looks nice too, and I'd personally keep the original color, if it were me. I'd hate the idea of mismatched door jambs, I might even be reminded of it every time I entered or exited the car, seeing them. But, it's up to you.

When you get the car repainted, in whatever color, remember, paint prep counts for a LOT. Have it done as well as you can afford, keeping it in mind that you do have a budget for the car.

#7 ·
If youre going to have it painted your better off having it done the right way the first time. I have seen alot of "budget" paint jobs, sure they look good at first but after a while they tend to flake, peal and crackle. These budget shops just dont put in the time for prep work they should. All they do is rough up the old paint and shoot new paint. Not to mention they also tend to use cheap paint. Have you tried getting it professionally buffed out? Its amazing what can be done to an old paint job that is if its not pealing/crackled already.

#13 ·
My wife's car was originally dark blue. The guy I bought it from did a cheap silver paint job on it with clear coat. It covered up the rust and bondo but not the dark blue every time I open the door, trunk, hood... IMHO keep it original color. Original color cheap is better than semi-expensive change. Youll need new door rubber and all the connecting attaching hardware, which I have had a really tough time finding. The door rubber I bought cost $350, because the guy just painted over the rubber in places causing it to crack and leak.

#14 ·
ok ok.... original gold it is... it's what i was going to do anyway, but DAMN that burgundy is beautiful!!!! guess i'm just gonna have to buy another W123

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.