Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1980 300TD Hatch Strut Instalation

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  mopar65pa 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum and don't know really how to ask, so here goes: I have a 1980 300TD Wagon and its back hatch continues to fall on my head when i open it. Now I have purchased the correct struts to replace the lax ones and am not sure how to proceed. Do I have to remove the inner linner in the back of the car to begin this or do I need a special tool to release the pins that hold the strut to the car. Any input would be very thankful.:bowdown:

#3 ·
I did it and man what a PITA. Someone, who I will find in this life or the next, stripped the heads of the bolts ($26CND each). At any rate, remove the speaker enclosure interior trim (1 piece) and you will see access holes to the bolt that holds the end of nitro shock in place. SUPPORT THE HATCH WITH A STICK OR SIMILAR OBJECT AND TAKE THE WEIGHT OF THE HATCH UP ONTO THAT STICK to relieve the pressure on the bolt. The bolts have allen key heads, I don't recall the exact size, but I had it in a normal metric set of allen bits. Remove bolts, make sure the allen bit is firmly in the bolt hole, remove pins at hatch end, remove shock and then install is reverse, but it can be challenge to find the end of the shock to get the bolt through, it can be done.

#5 ·
the majority of the wagon's required a triple square bit, sometimes known as an xzn bit. It looks like torx bit but it isn't Make sure you use the correct bit or you'll strip them out. You'll need the 8mm I used a Lisle 60770 on mine (Look for it on google, ebay or amazon) Clean the hole out ahead of time and tap the bit in so it's in there good. To remove the speaker cover first remove the screws and the courtesy light, then pull speaker housing slightly downward and slide toward rear of vehicle to remove. Go slowly and gently when you do this. Now's a good time to change out the speakers too.

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.