Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

aluminum interior

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  AG MAC 
#1 ·
Has anyone had an all aluminum interior installed? I am talking about the center stack, center console and the dash trim - where the wood or black trim would be...I have been thinking about machining out a set in alluminum for “Old Blue” and seeing what it will look like. The shapes are pretty simple and I should be able to Bridgeport it all with a little work…just wondering if anyone has seen this or has a picture of it – I most likely will photo chop it before I start…I am thinking of adding some door skin trim to come off the line across the dash…we shall see…
Jake

#2 ·
Thats would interesting to see.. I might want one too..:)

#4 ·
I was thinking about doing that for the center console, and have it going up until the top switches, I just dont know how hard it would be to cut the metal for the switches, so, Sadly it may just be a dream for me, I think a sort of silver-brassish or more of a darker grey metallic color might do well in my mind, I think it all depends on your interior color, mines galaxy blue.

#5 ·
my interior is also blue - I am trying to mimic my black w203 230 sport - I think it can be done with similar results...the w203 has aluminum and spots of black - it would be the same in my w123 - only the main interior color would be blue....I think leaving a nice machined finish should look the part...
Jake

#6 ·
I DID IT!!! Kinda...

Alright I didnt do the whole thing, and it could have came out a little better, but I will improve it.

Now I used Aluminum Shingle Sheeting...The type one would use for the roofing on their house. I cut it will Tin Sheers, and I was bleeding a little by the time I was done.....Because....It was pretty sharp. I tucked the corners in as best As I could, and for the rough edges I put Body Chrome Strips along the border, which I think looks kinda neat. I am going to buy the little chrome things that go over the switches, so it will cover up those edges. I didnt brush it or anything, and I think it would look better if it was a little...darker, but for now I think it looks quite nice, a big improvement of the black plastic which always kinda sank in.

Attachments

#7 ·
Aluminum is a very easy non-ferrus material to work with. It can be cut with standard electric saws of all kinds, preferably with high tooth counts on the blades. The key with Alum fabrication is to cut very slow to minimize heat distortion. Aluminum is increasing in price quickly, so the sooner you start your re-fit the better!

#8 ·
On the dash you can remove the top layer of wood veneer as underneath is a thin layer of aluminium
I did this while repairing the dash wood on my 126, I still had to carefully clean off remenants of the original adhesive and make it presentable by rubbing lightly with steel wool pads
Only try if you don't mind damaging or ruining your existing wood, it was easy to remove mine as the wood was already starting to seperate
Just an idea

#10 ·
Aluminum needs to be sealed to prevent constant oxidation ( grey dust that comes off your hands) a clear lacquer/verathane is probably the best. Russel Metals has an excellent on line catalog of the different grades available (not all aluminum, like stainless steel, is created equal)

#11 ·
Do you think mine was sealed? as it is made for roofing, and thereby hopefully should have some sort of coat to prevent rust?

#12 ·
Aluminum is intersting stuff, and depending on the type (grade) can have very different properties. It polishes well and is used in auto trim frequently. The easy test is to just rub the surface with your finger tip firmly for a few seconds and check if your finger gets a grey/black coating on it. If you have a choice, go with 6061 (marine grade alum) but that grade does not roll or form well so if you are shaping the metal, probably something in the 5000's would be better. Salvage yard clean scraps should sell in the $3-$5 per lb range just about everywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.