Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

steering lock issue YUCK

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  weoner 
#1 ·
ok so i am at the point where its either a match and some gasoline, selling the car for a dollar, or finding a miracle cure, PLEASE HELP ME

So a couple days ago i get in my car and try to turn the key, but it didn't go at all, i played with it for a while and eventually it went, all is well. So i thought ok, my car is very very finnicky, weird things always happen, maybe a one time thing. Well it was until it happened yesterday again. The key wont turn.

I did my research on how to get it to turn, tried wd40, tried the hammer on the key with the wheel to the right, tried rocking the hell out of the car (which was quite fun), all to no avail. I am going to go buy a new key tomorrow and try that. If that doesnt work i am getting out the ol' locking pliers and i am gonna make that key get into the number 1 position.

If that works i will replace the tumbler with a new one and hopefully life will be good. correct?

This is where i am scared. If i can't get it to the number one position, what the heck do i do. I have heard too many different posts about different options, but i don't really get it.

Am i to drill the spot where the keys goes, drill near where the key goes, or drill the actual steering lock.

mercedes quoted me upwards of a thousand cdn, to do it. NO WAY!!!

my mechanic whom i like to avoid quoted me about 350 cdn plus parts so about 700 cdn.

all these numbers sound too high for a car i spent 1200 on, and then a whole other wallet emptying amount to bring to good working order (it still isn't in good working order)

so any solutions

i know this post is long and i apologize!!!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I Have the same problem too

Dude I have to same problem too, I got stuck at Harbor frieghts for like an hour once. One time I freakin didn't not even get the damn key in the key hole, I had to fiddle with the key hole using a tiny alen key ( there was a metal piece blocking the key hole ) I finally got the thing to aline and then the dam steering wheel is lock so I fiddle with that crap too! My dam right hands got tried of twisting the key too! so I finally turn the steering wheel gently and twich the key and bam ! my car finally started.

sorry about the long story. Here the solution to your steering wheel being locked Just don't lock your steering wheel, before you turn off your car turn the steering wheel to the left or right almost half way and that sucker should not lock on you again.

I'll take a pic of what I do: be right back with the pic

dam Pics are to large

#4 ·
I got a new key from the dealership and had ano problems. The old key has problems unlocking the steering wheel.

On the other hand, the old key head is still good and hard, but the new one is soft and already broken.

Lubricate it with powdered graphite only. WD40 attracts dirt and further messes up the tumbler.

#5 ·
Weoner, I had the same problem with my 81 240D. At first you just had to kind of wiggle or shake it once it was inserted to get the key to turn but by the time I was letting my daughter drive it the problem had evolved into a situation where she would fight it for 5 or 10 minutes every time she tried to start it. I contacted a MB dealer and faxed my title, driver’s license and my credit card number and for 25 bucks they cut me a new key. Although it has hung up just a tad at times the problem has practically gone away. The really weird part though is that the new key would not work in the door lock. It would insert in but you just couldn't get it to turn. Not a really big problem, my daughter just used the old key for the door and the new one for the ignition. All was well until the accident. When the car had been towed away to the tow yard I went to visit and forgot that the new key wouldn't work. I stuck it into the lock and turned it and the door unlocked, but then the key wouldn't come out of the lock! I fiddled with it for a few seconds then gave it a yank and it slid right out. I sprayed a little WD40 in and re-inserted the key and it has worked perfectly ever since.
Buy the new key and have faith that it will resolve your issue, you just have to believe! Good luck, Bach

#6 ·
i have the same problem today spent and hour and a have and still cant get stering wheel to unlock is there way to break sterring lock . i would prefer not to have it i have three keys one from mb dealer i ended up driving a different car. but the car is at work please help

#7 ·
washerman, are you pulling the wheel back and forth to relieve the tension on the wheel lock as you try to jiggle the key?

#8 ·
ya but i have to try mb key i keep it at home in a safe place incase i need it the plastic broke and i do not want to lose it i drove my junk bronco 2 that i leave at work it looks worse than your daughters car before you fixed it. my uncle ran ito many things when i loaned it to him. bearly drivable the head light is held in with duck tape. mb runs and looks so much beter hope i get it to unlock tommorow. there no way to cut out steering lock no
ones going to steal 23 year old car.

#9 ·
I think it's no good idea just to get a new key. Both parts of the system, key and lock, suffer from abrasion AND the lock gets dirty and crusty.

Once out, the cylinder is quite easy to open - the door an trunk cylinders too, btw - and you can fit them easy to any key you want (I run my wagon and my coupe on the same key).

Attachments

#10 ·
I think it's no good idea just to get a new key. Both parts of the system, key and lock, suffer from abrasion AND the lock gets dirty and crusty.

Once out, the cylinder is quite easy to open - the door an trunk cylinders too, btw - and you can fit them easy to any key you want (I run my wagon and my coupe on the same key).

#11 ·
well i have done my reasearch.

here's the deal.

if i get a new key and it works hooray, but i still should replace the tumblers because i really really don't want to end up in the same situation again. So i can get a new tumbler and key for less than fifty bucks which is pretty rad. The key won't match, but i really don't care. So i am trying to think is it really worth it to even get the ney key. Why not just drill the spot where i need to drill, replace the tumblers with new ones and be done with it.

is this a good idear?

#15 ·
ok so here is what i did

and forewarning to anyone with a sticky key, replace the tumbler before it goes because trust me if you cannot get the key into the number 1 position you will have to do what i had to do which what not fun at all. most likely you will replace the whole steering lock assembly as well.

so first we tried drilling in the actual tumbler just to see what would happen, but the metal part where the key first enters just kept spinning (something broke). Then we dropped the column and tried drilling to get the detent to go down, but the detent wore through our bits like nothing! we then drilled out the actual pin for the steering lock (very easy) and pulled the asembly out. We then cut off the black cap around the tumbler with a saw (zip disc) and pulled the tumbler out. after that we realized that the steering lock assemply was broken so we just cut off the bottom of the assembly, where it enters the actual column, pulled out the part that drops and put it back together. it works but the new tumbler i bought doesnt stay in the column so i need to get a new cap quickly. my steering lock doesnt work either but i dont care about that.

you will ahve to remove the gauges, not a big deal, but REMEMBER TO REINSTALL THE OIL PRESSURE LINE, IT ACTUALLY HAS OIL IN IT. now i have a big oil stain in my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.