Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/)
-   -   vaccum issues....car does'nt shut off! (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/1247434-vaccum-issues-car-doesnt-shut-off.html)

tzveee 02-05-2006 01:54 AM

vaccum issues....car does'nt shut off!

I've got a '83 300d and when I first got the car the vaccum systetem was working ok....Although, it did'nt store the vaccum that long and if you didn't lock the door within a minuite of turning off the engine, the door would not automatically unlock and you would have to go around to each one to lock them....then, all of a sudden, I noticed the engine had a lot of trouble shutting off....so I read on Diesel Giant that the car shutting off, also has to do with the vaccum system...so I went back to my car an just started playing around with the brown tubing right next to the firewall and I think I must have done something, cause the car was shutting off better than ever.....then, a couple of days ago, again it had trouble shutting off, and now it doesnt shut off at all.......So I was wondering if anybody knows if there might be a fairly easy way to deal with this.....i.e. do I have to go out and buy a vaccum pump and test out all the connections or maybee replace the actual vaccum or might there be another way to go about it that may be a bit simpler? Thank you very much.

Gregs300CD 02-05-2006 05:11 AM

RE: vaccum issues....car does'nt shut off!

Buy a vacuum pump/tester

84300DTurbo 02-05-2006 09:11 AM

sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. you can replace the connector line between the shutoff valve on the IP and the hard vacuum line. that sometimes does the trick.

also, "do a search" ![|)]

plenty of reading here on the subject.
[8]

peter811 02-05-2006 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a vacuum problem, but I was able to temporarily stop it until I have time to fix it.
What I did was disconnect the vacuum locks and shove a bolt or a golf tee through the rubber adaptor.
As shown in the picture.

Kajtek1 02-05-2006 04:54 PM

Start with visual inspection of those lines around oil filter.
If the brake assist works OK, that means the pump is good. If the door locks, that means the lines hold more, or less.
That would leave the engine shut-off element itself. It can be easily tested with vacuum testing pump.

ace00959 04-16-2008 03:25 AM

is there more than one vacuum adaptor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter811 (Post 1774323)
I had a vacuum problem, but I was able to temporarily stop it until I have time to fix it.
What I did was disconnect the vacuum locks and shove a bolt or a golf tee through the rubber adaptor.
As shown in the picture.

I did the same thing and it worked, although the powere locks do no not, except for the front driver side. Is there a part number for the green vacuum adaptor piece/ Anyone know it? Thanks.

Gregs300CD 04-16-2008 06:14 AM

This post is over two years old, you know.
Are you talking about the green dashpot in the line going into the top of the vacuum control valve?

Rmac58 04-16-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace00959 (Post 2842283)
I did the same thing and it worked, although the powere locks do no not, except for the front driver side. Is there a part number for the green vacuum adaptor piece/ Anyone know it? Thanks.

The door locks are located at a yellow check valve, with yellow hard lines going to the cabin. That green item is a damper, #0003040234. And is connected to the transmission.

p100 04-16-2008 07:11 PM

Here is what happened to my '85 300D and how I fixed it:

The engine would not shut off intermittently, until I observed that it did shut off when the climate control unit was in the off or A/C position. The door locks almost quit working and transmission started shifting rough. No air blew out of center vents in the economy position. Turns out I had a vacuum actuator line disconnected just behind the glovebox. Once that was connected, everything got normal again. These vacuum systems are interconnected, so HVAC leak will affect the engine shut of, door locks, and transmission shifting. And of course, proper A/C operation.

Also, what often happens on these cars - when changing the oil filter cartridge, people sometimes pull off one of the vacuum line connectors which are very close to the oil filter canister lid. Check that area for any loose vacuum lines.