Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

AWESOME Surprise

1K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  AMSOIL300CDT 
G
#1 ·
so just now, 2 secs ago, im building a fire in the fireplace, when there's a knock at the door. i answer it, and its Fed-ex, with a HEAVY box from Mercedes in it! Could this be my mileage awards finally? I will now go open it and find out.

G
#2 ·
so, its my award allright. I received a nice black binder with a certificate of achievement made out to the vehicle, and a letter of thanks from the MB Classic center supervisor. the award emblem itself is HUGE! is it really meant to go on the center of the grille right under the daimler star? i will check my original grille that sits over the fireplace on the mantle to see how it fits. maybe this is meant to go "in the field" of the grille. will have to see. MAN, i wish i had a camera, or scanner, or better yet, BOTH!

G
#3 ·
oh yeah, it also had a big old catalog, from the MB Classic Collection. I didnt know they had such awesome stuff for sale. original stock holding certificates from MB AG, w123 Miniatures, awesome posters, etc. its worth checking out, even if its SO pricey.

G
#4 ·
it was so particularly excellent since i had long decided that i simply wasnt gonna get any to actually put on my car until i reached 500,000 km. since they had repeatedly told me "we have already sent them to you sir". FOR MONTHS! so when out of the blue they suddenly turned up, as a FED-EX delivery, it was, as in the title "an awesome surprise".

BTW : The mileage award's "plaque" area only says 250,000 km. no / with miles. suits me just better anyways, i just thought i'd mention it, since in pictures i have seen it always with kilometers/miles.

G
#8 ·
where are u right now then? on the other side of the earth in the phillipines? if so, that must be neat. except that ur benz isnt there (probably).[:(]

so, the perfekt engineers at "The New Mercedes" managed to mess up again. this is on the mount for the grill on the award itself, the 2 screw shafts coming out. they come with the 2 nuts screwed all the way up, ur supposed to be able to loosen them. well, the shafts are welded on, after the nuts are started from the same side. on one side, the CROSS THREADED the nut, then welded the shaft on "anyways". so theres no way in hell ur ever gonna get that nut screwed all the way up the long shaft, its effectively jammed. this makes the award stick out way to far from the grille mesh. on one side. too bad. i sort of bent/cut one piece of the grille mesh, so that the nut would go right on in to the grille anyways, so now its mounted flush to the mesh, all nice and proper. will post pics, someday.[?]

#9 ·
only mbs deserve awards?!?!

we've got 4 cars with over 150k on them. 3 dodges and a vw.

the mercedes has 15k more to go and ill get to wait 6 months for mine as well!

also--

mr joe(i hope im not being overtly personal, ive read his name before- htownbenzoboy) had his badge troubles if i remember correctly, i think i remember it falling apart when he tried to fix the stupid nut problem.

maybe theyll iron out the problem before i have to try to mount mine!

#10 ·
Don't worry, if you do have problems with the quality, call them, and they'll happily send you a new one that should hopefully not fall apart.

Heh heh... Mr. Joe.[:D]

-Joe

G
#13 ·
if i call MB Classic again, im sure that they will send some russians over "to take care of me"! [:0][xx(] im quite sure that they are now sick and tired of dealing with MR. Justin, and his complaints. Why else would they have Fed-Ex'd my stuff right on over to me, finally?

Plus, if i asked for a new one, it probably wouldnt get here until AFTER i already leave and head back down to Florida.

#14 ·
AMSOIL300CDT - 8/6/2005 1:13 AM

...the perfekt engineers at "The New Mercedes" managed to mess up again...
The badges I have are an almost flat disks with two holes on either side. There are two long screws and nuts. The badge is held on by a plastic retainer that goes behind the grill screen, the grill screen is between the badge and retainer. It was very easy to install and took just seconds.

It seems from your description that like new MBs the new badges are also poorly designed.

G
#15 ·
yeah, they are just as u describe, except that the one nut wont come off, due to the cross-threading i mentioned earlier. they would be fine, of only the nut came off, i mean, who is so dumb that they crossthread a nut, on something thats going to MERCEDES!!

#16 ·
AMSOIL300CDT - 8/5/2005 12:13 AM

where are u right now then? on the other side of the earth in the phillipines? if so, that must be neat. except that ur benz isnt there (probably).[:(]

so, the perfekt engineers at "The New Mercedes" managed to mess up again. this is on the mount for the grill on the award itself, the 2 screw shafts coming out. they come with the 2 nuts screwed all the way up, ur supposed to be able to loosen them. well, the shafts are welded on, after the nuts are started from the same side. on one side, the CROSS THREADED the nut, then welded the shaft on "anyways". so theres no way in hell ur ever gonna get that nut screwed all the way up the long shaft, its effectively jammed. this makes the award stick out way to far from the grille mesh. on one side. too bad. i sort of bent/cut one piece of the grille mesh, so that the nut would go right on in to the grille anyways, so now its mounted flush to the mesh, all nice and proper. will post pics, someday.[?]
I had a problem with one of my badges too, it just fell apart after I put it on the grille, I called MBUSA, told them about it, and they sent me another one within 2-3 weeks.
-Joe

G
#17 ·
i suppose i will call, since its worth it. it may still break, since i "rigged" it to go on right. i think it would be a good idea to have one, as a spare. or will they always send u another one, if u ever need it?

#18 ·
FWIW when I got my 500,000 km badge it had a blemish on it, looked like handling damage. They replaced it and I did not have to send the old one back. Granted, you ‘broke’ yours, but as program is basically PR, they may send you another regardless.

G
#19 ·
i did not break mine one bit at all. i had to push down on the award, while pulling up on the slat of the grille above it. since the shaft was wider due to the presence of the nut down there. now it makes clearence and goes up flush to the grille, but its constantly under stress, sort of, since one shaft is being "pulled" upwards by being bolted on normal, while the other shaft because of the slat has to bend downwards like a bit so it will clear. in other wards the shafts are being sort of pulled in 2 different directions. depending on the quality of the weld [:0] that the shaft has, it will or wont make a difference. oh well, not my fault though, im not the one who cross threaded that nut onto the award in the first place. [|)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.