Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Online Tech Links & DIY Thread

259K views 131 replies 39 participants last post by  ianrandom 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have absolutely no idea whatsoever about the whereabouts of the old thread, or who or how it got deleted. Since I'm one of the new moderators though, I will post some links to some of the best W123/MB diesel technical links that I know of.

Boostnbenz W123 and W126 maintainence page
W123 & W126 DIY Maintenance Page

Mercedes Diesel Maintainence Tips
Mercedes Diesel Maintenance tips

Mercedes-Benz W123 Helpline
HELPLINE by Mark Cosovic

Mercedes-Benz W123 Buyers Guide
Buyers Guide To Type W123 (1)

I have more, but my computer is acting up, so this is all for now.
-Joe

#54 · (Edited)
#63 ·
#70 ·
#74 ·
Back on the Service Manual topic. I have the following manuals:

Maintenance Manual USA volume 2. This has all the PM type maintenance procedures in one volume--oil change, transmission service, valve adjustments, belts, etc. It includes all 123 and 126 models.

Service Manual Engine 617.95

Service Manual Heating, Air Conditioning, Automatic Climate Control

Service Manual Chassis and Body Volumes 1 and 2.

There is also the Service Manual that has all the electrical diagrams in it. I haven't been able to find it, so I just use the diagrams on the CD Rom version. Overall I prefer paper manuals over the CD versions. There is more info in the paper versions and the pictures are much more clear.

#75 ·
#80 ·
#83 ·
Changing parking brake shoes

I' ve been working on my brakes as some of you may know as I did asked for advice. I changed parking brake shoes couple of days ago and I'm going to post some pics as I haven't seen much info about parking brakes. Please feel free to comment or put some suggestions.

First I removed rear brake calipers.
Auto part Vehicle brake Wheel Disc brake Tire

I removed brake discs - they just slide easily
Auto part Disc brake Vehicle brake Brake Wheel

There are four springs that attach the shoes to the covering ring. Two lets called them hold down springs, an adjuster spring and a return spring. You can see them in the next pic togather with the adjusting device.
Horseshoes Horse supplies Games Horseshoe Auto part

I hope it's going to be useful for somebody.
First I removed hold down springs. I tried to use a flat screwdriver but it was hard so I bought a mercedes spring removal.
Geologist's hammer Hammer Cross Tomahawk

I used a flat screwdriver to remove the other two springs. I started with the adjuster spring and the last one was the return spring.
Installing new shoes was the reverse of what Ive done.
That's the pic of the new shoes.
Auto part Locking hubs Vehicle brake Brake Suspension part

Don't forget to adjust the shoes with the adjusting star wheel so they work properly. I had to re-adjust mine.
Auto part Vehicle brake Brake Locking hubs Disc brake

I also adjusted parking brake handle with the screw that is located under the car just after the gear box. I lowered the exhaust pipe but it was unnecessary. You can't miss it.
Auto part Automotive fuel system Suspension Suspension part

#88 ·
#90 ·