steering wheel locked, key won't turn..84 300d.stuck in towaway zone..HELP please. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2004, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: bio-diesel!
steering wheel locked, key won't turn..84 300d.stuck in towaway zone..HELP please.

My 84 300d is stuck in a towaway zone with the steering wheel locked and the key won't turn? I read every post on here concerning this topic(3-4 times), but would appreciate any input you might have to help me. Should I go get a key cut for $15-20 to the factory code at the local locksmith? I tried rocking the car...didn't help. I got a new factory key made about a month ago from MB...It has always gone in rough to the igntion, now this...and there seems to be less friction than usually now. I have spent about an hour jiggling the wheel and key...nothing...What is the most inexpensive fix?..even if temporary...I am just glad we didn't get stuck 30 miles away from civilization in the National Forest on the snowy dirt logging road yesterday...It happened right when we got back...Thank God. Maybe the washboard road messed it up? Does anyone have a miracle cure?
turbosing777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2004, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 83 300D
RE: steering wheel locked, key won't turn..84 300d.stuck in towaway zone..HELP please.

The only time I had this problem my steering wheel was turned and was pressing against the lock. I just turn the wheel so it was off the lock and it worked.
MB-Owner-in-ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 1984 300CD
RE: steering wheel locked, key won't turn..84 300d.stuck in towaway zone..HELP please.

YES! Turn the steering wheel to relieve the pressure on the lock.
MBZ300CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thank you both for your prompt reply...However, I should inform you I have tried what you are telling me for about an hour so far...And the wheels and steering wheel are straight...So no pressure...I tried rolling it forward and back in neutral, then making sure it was re-engaged in park, then tried it too...and nothing. Any other suggestions? I sprayed a bunch of tri-flow in there too...and nothing. B)
Old 12-02-2004, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004

You have a stuck ignition lock. You should try to insert the key and jiggle the hell out of it and see if you can get it to at least go to position 1. It may take a while, e.g. an hour. If it doesn't give way by then call a locksmith, and he will wear out 5 or 6 drill bits drilling it out. You are in for an expensive deal there. MB does not want anyone stealing their cars, proof of this is the case-hardened unobtainium alloy ignition lock. However- if you can get the key to position 1, there is a tiny hidden hole that you can insert a heavy-duty paperclip into and keep pressure in an internal release- then you can turn the black metal collar CCW and remove the ignition lock. It may be the steering lock itself- in that case you will need to have it towed to a mechanic and have him deal with it.
doofwop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1984 300D Turbo

got an electric shaver? or any other type of vibrating appliance (i'm serious really you could actually use what you are thinking!!)
take it and stick on top of the key switch with the key
out. then try the key again. may take a few times. sounds like you have a tumbler stuck.
blast it with wd40 as well

if you can free up the tumblers the cylinder will turn so you can unlock the steering wheel.

send lawyers, guns, & money...
84300DTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2003
Vehicle: 1983 300Dturbodiesel

the valet key for my car hardly gets used, and the teeth are much sharper than the nice rounded (worn to nubs) everday key i use, and if i stick the valet key in as far as it will go it wont turn, i have to pull it out very slightly for it to match up right and turn... keep jigglin!
pondscum007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

OK, I just spent a half hour doing what you guys told me...still can't turn the key or unlock the steering wheel. I used up the last of my tri-flow. So that isn't the problem...Is there any other way to fix this thing? It seems like the solution could cost almost what I paid for the car....Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1984 300D Turbo

did you use a vibrating tool/device? that may work but you need to keep at it for a while.
try to get in the lock with a large paperclip to move the tumblers.

84300DTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: '82 W123 300D, '93 W124 300D, '01 W220 320 cdi
Send a message via MSN to RuffStuff

The same happened to me once. After getting tired of jiggling with the key and steering wheel I toke away the cover under the dash board to gain access to the key lock… I was hoping that the lock could be disassembled from the inside. I did manage to unscrew 2 nuts (I think); however it wouldn’t come out because the steering was locked. Meanwhile, my dad was helping me out and he gave one more try at the jiggling technique and yuppie! I drove the car home and using the paper clip method (already mentioned on this thread) I toke out the lock and fixed it. I also disabled the steering lock temporarily.
RuffStuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class