Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Which diesel model is better? 240 or 300 or 300 turbo?

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  FinnJohn 
#1 ·
i would like to know which model of the great diesel benz is considered to be the best. Is it the economical 240 or the larger 300 or the turbo 300? Please explain answer.

#4 ·
well if i were to analyze which fits me better...

i am a college student that has to commute 38 miles daily. 19 to and 19 back. I cruise at about 35 to 45mph at 1500-1800rpm mph (here im my country the speed limit is 50mph) in my dad´s 93 hyundai excel for most of the trip. But i am looking to cruise in style in a diesel benz. i am being offered a 78 300d euro model in great condition with manual transmission for 5 grand. Is the engine in there the same as the us model 300d or is it different than the euro engine. I am planning to be a diyer even though i have no prior experience.but i am good with a manual and a set of tools. [:)]

#5 ·
At 88 bhp the non-turbo OM 617 will not be as powerful as the turbo charged engine with 123/125 bhp. I have a non-turbo engine with an automatic and when I work it right it can be quite quick.

However –

With a manual transmission the car you are considering will be very spirited. If it’s in as good condition as you say and a mechanic you trust says it is indeed in good shape I would buy it.

Is that $5000 USD? If so either the car must be very low miles or come with gold plated rims – that’s too much for any w123 in any condition, IMHO. How many miles?

Yes, it’s the same OM 617 engine in all cars, Euro and US spec.

#6 ·
RE: well if i were to analyze which fits me better...

eso7 - 10/3/2004 6:58 PM

i am a college student that has to commute 38 miles daily. 19 to and 19 back. I cruise at about 35 to 45mph at 1500-1800rpm mph (here im my country the speed limit is 50mph) in my dad´s 93 hyundai excel for most of the trip. But i am looking to cruise in style in a diesel benz. i am being offered a 78 300d euro model in great condition with manual transmission for 5 grand. Is the engine in there the same as the us model 300d or is it different than the euro engine. I am planning to be a diyer even though i have no prior experience.but i am good with a manual and a set of tools. [:)]
Are you just going to use it to drive going to and back from school? In any case, here are two good links you might want to read about first before doing anything:

http://mercedes-w123.net/buyers_guide.htm

http://mbdieseldiy.tripod.com/dog.htm

#7 ·
yeah basically...

basically i would just use it for my daily commute and because i know driving diesels for a short period of time is not the way they were designed to drive.i think too that a 300d manual tran would be a little spirited.

i guess 5000 us dollars seem expensive over in the states. but the average price over here for a w123 is 3800 us dollars.so prices are a little inflated. but i think he wants 5 grand because he wants to recover from investing about a grand in a overhaul he did to it about 30000 km.

also he is reluctant to sell it because he would like to pass it down to his son who would use it to commute to college. when someone doesnt really want to get rid of something they sell it a little expensive.but hey i really would like a 300d and i think it could last me about 15 years more.

i thought about the 240d and drove it with an auto trans but too slow for my liking. maybe manual has more pep in it.

anyways i have excellent pristine show condition w123 go for above 5 grand up to 10 grand on ebay. just trying to think hard before i make the second most largest investment in my life.[:)]

#8 ·
I bought an '82 240 w/manual a few months ago. I'm really enjoying it - in fact my BMW 535I stays parked and I'm commuting with the MB. Fuel economy has been somewhat disappointing - high twenties (MPG). Just replaced shocks w/Bilstein HD's and it was a very simple job. I drive 100 miles/day, some stop & go traffic, some 75 MPH cruising, a few steep hills. No issues with the power - it will pull 65 - 70 mph up the grades as long as I don't have to slow for traffic. Nice thing is the simplicity of the 240's - mine has manual windows and sunroof. Replaced the vacuum trunk actuator and now the whole system works fine. If it was my only car I would have bought an '85 300D - but I wanted a simple commuter - and a manual trans. Good luck!

#9 ·
RE: yeah basically...

eso7 - 10/4/2004 12:05 PM

...but i think he wants 5 grand because he wants to recover from investing about a grand in a overhaul he did to it about 30000 km.

…that’s his problem – the money you put into your car should be considered money down the hole – I say keep looking.

#11 ·
is money really that you invest in your car a non recoverable investment? i would like to think not.if i buy a car that is worth 3000 dollars a 300d for example and i put new tires,overhaul the engine, and paint it. invest about 1 grand or 2 grand and i want to sell my car.would i sell it for 3000 dollars or would i try to sell it for 5 grand to recover my investments in it.?

#12 ·
you could "try to sell it" for anything. Obviously, some repairs/upgrades/restorations are worth more at selling time than others. It what the buyers perceive as value added and what additional they think its worth and are willing to pay for.

I once put $6K into an '86 Volvo 240 over the course of 12 months. When I sold it for $3500, it was the nicest 15 year old 240 in Soutrhern California.

#13 ·
you could "try to sell it" for anything. Obviously, some repairs/upgrades/restorations are worth more at selling time than others. It's what the buyers perceive as value-added and what additional they think its worth and are willing to pay for.

I once put $6K into an '86 Volvo 240 over the course of 12 months. When I sold it for $3500, it was the nicest 15 year old 240 in Southern California.

#14 ·
Sometimes you can recover what you put in a car, and sometimes you can't. A car is worth what YOU want to pay for it. If a 1972, straight 6, Ford Maverick is what you have always dreamed of, you will pay $5000 before I will. Whatever you drive, whatever you pay, YOU must be the one who is happy. By the by, what country do you live in? I own a 83 300D Turbo, and I think that is the best of you choices, lots of power, and still fairly simple to work on. But, from everything I have been reading at this sight, although the 240 is slower, it is even easier to work on, a bit better on fuel consumption, and is fun to drive with the manuel transmission. Which ever one you pick, they all have their own personality, but they are ALL great cars. Good Luck. Lancer.

#15 ·
I see these moronic sellers on eBay motors with these insanely high reserves and/or high starting bids because the car has “$6000 in engine work invested.� Or: “$4000 sound system installed.� Who cares? If the book value of the car is $3000, that's the value of the car. You modify, repair, and install at your own risk. That’s why their cars never sell. Conversely, if you have a rare or desirable car that everyone wants, you can command a high price even if it needs work – look at the 123 280 CE/300 CD for example, they’re always selling high and often only in fair shape.

#16 ·
Beyond the book values it becomes an emotional decision. I likely paid too much for my 300TD Turbo, considering the things I've found wrong with it, but only a diehard MB expert would likely have found most of the problems prior to buying it. The owner didn't even know. Fact is, I wanted the car.

It's kind of like trying to decide between a Harley Davidson and a Harley knockoff. Both will get you there and both are stylish in their own ways. The Kawasaki Vulcans and the Suzuki S series cruisers are sweet rides, but at half the price of a Harley they are pretty much an unbeatable bargain. But, if your emotional side says you must have a Harley, you'll find a way to rationalize the higher price. Hell, I want an American Iron Horse ride, but what's holding me back is it's a lot of money for a bike they won't let you test ride.

The mechanical problems don't bother me much because in my opinion mechanical problems are usually as easy as changing a few parts. No big deal. The body and interior work is what drives me nuts. Maybe I'm tainted because I worked for a VW mechanic back in my high school days and did a lot of the interior and body work. Hated every minute of it, but give me a motor to rebuild and I was happy. My brother on the other hand has a custom car and motorcycle shop and loves torturing himself with this stuff. If he wasn't 700 miles away I would give him the car and let him have at it, although I have considered driving it over and leaving it with him this winter.

Bottom line is if your wallet can support your emotions, there isn't anything wrong with paying more for something if, in your OWN opinion, it is going to make you happy. God knows working on them will keep you off the streets and at home, so even the wife might enjoy your new found project.

It's almost gotten to be a joke around here. My wife now calls me from work and asks if she'll find me in the car, under the car, on top of the car or just sitting staring at the car when she gets home. [:)]

#17 ·
I think you'd be fine with the "euro" 300D (non turbo) manual, even if it is $5 grand. I know what cars go for in central america- my family is panamanian. Diesels command more than gasoline engines and if the car is in good shape you'll be able to sell it for the close to same amount when you want to. Obviously try to get him down, but remember that if there are not many other 300
d's around for sale, it'a a sellers market.
William

#18 ·
i do not think it is a sellers market i think it is buyers market for mercedes cars.there aren't so many and the population in nicaragua are mostly ignorant to recognize what is a mercedes or bmw they do not buy them.here if you have a toyota or nissan or mitsubishi its a sellers market because of the popularity and reliability perceived by the population. nobody wants mercedes here in nicaragua.except me.what i mean is there is not much demand for a german vehicle in nicaragua.so the prices should reflect this.but once again the business of selling car here is so far from reality.people have no accurate idea of the value of their car. hence, they want outrageous prices for them.when will i get a fair deal? the search continues

#19 ·
I agree, the price seems alittle steep for the model, no one does the work to a car to recoup the money for a sale, any money going into a car is maintance, just think what it sell for before the work bein g done to it, for my 2 cents, I would hol;d out for a turbo and a 123 or 124 chassis.I am in no way knocking the 240,just for the money, get a turbo, it may retain its worth better when or if you want to sell it. here in the states, I bought a 85cd from a private party for 6900.00 and it was in museum shape.It had 139,000 miles and it was documented service.my wife fell in love with it and I rarely drive it.also consiter your speed limit, here it averages 65 to 80mph on highway and here in Boston,that is offramp speed, a nonturbo here doesnot draw big money because some people still think all diesels are slow and smoke alot. the only smoke from my car is from the doors of the cars I pass on the highway. ps good idea running the idea of the price here, a lot of info here and a good mix of the world for prices. good luck

#21 ·
Probly 240d manual

I have a '82 300dt automatic and don't get me wrong, I feel this car with the right maintenance can go past 500,000mi, but the 240d has been proven worldwide to be the most durable motor car ever built. A taxi driver in morocco has 1.2 million miles on his '82 240d.

'82 240D = Million Mile Car

#22 ·
I have a '82 300dt automatic and don't get me wrong, I feel this car with the right maintenance can go past 500,000mi, but the 240d has been proven worldwide to be the most durable motor car ever built. A taxi driver in morocco has 1.2 million miles on his '82 240d.

'82 240D = Million Mile Car
I can't find any info on the net to support that claim but either way at 1.2 million miles the engine is not original. A taxi is run much harder around town as opposed to freeway driving.

The Greek taxi had 11 engine changes and clearly was in many collisions but survived through the years.

#23 ·
Yeh ... they're good engines. But it seems like every time somebody tells me about a 500,000-mile Merc, it's a 300 turbo-deezle. I'm guessing when they beefed that unit up to handle the extra strain of turbocharging, they did a lot of things right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.