Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Water in Right Rear Passenger footwell

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  countrylanelana 
#1 ·
I discovered yesterday water in the right rear passender footwell in my 79 300D. This is the first leak into car and I am not able to find where it comes from - any ideas?
PEter Merle

#2 ·
Have you washed your car? And wind much water on the "coupé-aiur-intaker-bars" ???
I´m sure it came from there.....sometimes when i wash my car it came a little water were you have describe!
I don´t think its dangerous to the car.....=)

#5 ·
I am not able to find where it comes from - any ideas?
PEter Merle

- lots of ideas....

1) how is the car as a whole? if it is rotted out then there is a demon in the car, a cancer that is hard to stop...

if this is the case, the battery is known to leak accidic vapor or form and destroy the inner fender and wheel well / firewall of teh pass side.

2) the rear window seal could be shot and need replacing, they leak when old and tired - its cheap and easy to do...the front could be tired as well....

3) sunroof drains

4) clogged hood hinge drains overspilling

5) missing lower body plugs, water leaking in

6) do a search for anything else....

i think that he is saying the fresh air intakes on the cowl...check the drains in the engine bay, they look like tounges, or dove tails....they could be clogged too - be careful as new ones from the dealer are about 35 dollars each.

hope this is a start
jake

#6 ·
Thanks guys,
The car is in excellent condition - no rust - all grommets in place. I see water is dripping onto accelerator pedal hinge - ( RHD ). I now suspect the windscreen - do I take the entire windscreen out and replae the seal- seal appears OK. I checked the air vents and they are not blocked .

Peter

G
#7 ·
Peter.

It might look ok but what happens is
that the rubber dries and shrinks.
Leaving the glass loose in the rubber.
As it rains the water runs inbetween the
rubber and glass.

Easy to check.

Take a bucket of water or the hose and
pour water in the bottom corner of the
windshield.
Look inside the car in the same spot and
you'll see the water run in on the rubber.

The window gasket you can get at any online
parts place for a fair price but you'll also
need the special sealant that only MB sells.
You can have it done at a glass place but
make sure that your bring the sealant and
that they use it.
If they don't it will start to leak in a
short period of time.

Louis.

#8 ·
Hey, I had the same thing happen in my 83 300TD except mine was water in ALL the floors. If you'll go back several pages you'll find where I posted the same question. Look for countrylanelana. The person who responded with the photo graphs solved my problem. That tubing had disintegrated and the condensation from my AC was running into the car. I actually fixed mine with a soda bottle too. I have plans of replacing that with something more substainable. It was kind of awkward to get into the position to fix it but worth the trouble. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.