Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1984 300D 280k miles. To buy or not?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Kalen 
#1 ·
Hello all.
There is a 1984 300D with 280k miles for $1700 near me. From the pictures, it looks clean and pretty nice, but I dont know much about these cars. I basically looking for a diesel car that will be reliable and not cost very much for a few years.

with this many miles, what should I be on the lookout for if I go to check it out? What kinds of things start to go wrong with a diesel this old? If the car has no major problems, how much money would you offer?

#3 ·
Thanks! thats the kind of stuff im looking for.
My main concern is the high milage. It seems that the upper figure on these cars is 300k from what ive read on the internet. Everyone says "itll go 300k without any problems" but I havent heard anyone saying what starts happening after that. Anyway, If anyone knows of any good info regarding high mile diesels that would be great!

Thanks again,
-Kalen

#4 ·
What starts after that is you'll love your car ever more! [:D] Kidding... (though I can't say it's not true...)

Like any other car, these cars, if well maintained will last a lot longer than expected. Regular fluid changes, filter changes, flushing of liquids, changing of worn parts, etc...

But there is a slight bias to diesels because these engines were built to last, built for longevity.

I found an article somewhere, I'll post it here when I find it. In the meantime, check the links on the above mentioned Online Tech Help, there are also some facts about these cars not just troubleshooting stuff...

[|)]

#5 ·
What starts after that is you'll love your car ever more! [:D] Kidding... (though I can't say it's not true...)

Like any other car, these cars, if well maintained will last a lot longer than expected. Regular fluid changes, filter changes, flushing of liquids, changing of worn parts, etc...

But there is a slight bias to diesels because these engines were built to last, built for longevity.

I found an article somewhere, I'll post it here when I find it. In the meantime, check the links on the above mentioned Online Tech Help, there are also some facts about these cars not just troubleshooting stuff...

[|)]

#6 ·
well mine has a 168k i had to replace steering stablizer shock,valve cover gasket oil filter housing gasket's, heater control unit and i paid twice as much as your's and YES i love[:)] my M B better than my jeep, solid car heavy car, nice ride ,good on fuel[8D] just check for oil leaks,maint record's,and how clean the engine area is mine was realy dirty and when i bought it the dirt was hiding oil leak's and now it is spotless [:I]and check for frame near jack support's for rust and rear fender's for rust well rust is also not good if it has a lot of it just my 2ct's[|)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.