Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2.5" Stainless exhaust

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  coupe 
#1 ·
I just thought that I would post these picts of the exhaust...

#8 ·
hello

yes there is a muffler...it is that large brick just BEFORE the diff....

here is the system rundown...

Ford 3.0 JBA headers
http://www.jamesduff.com/newproducts/new_bronco2.html

stainless steel flexpipe
www.ebay.com

2.5" 304L stainless tubing and 45* mandrel bends
www.vertexnow.com
(yes its really from them, call - 302 472 0601

2.5" universal flow stainless steel muffler by BORLA
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1266&prmenbr=361

THERMOTEC exhaust wrap
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1351&prmenbr=361

then it goes into the splitter behind the diff - where the normal muffler would be...and in the 2.5" tubes are split 1.5" baffles

then out!
jake

#10 ·
not sure about the horse power - it is not dyno proven...and it got a new engine this winter that is not the same at all as the last one...

new heads, 0.2 liter stroke, new rollers, port and polished, all gasket matched, reworked upper and lower intakes, heat spacer, ect... but it pulls

I think that it is slightly on the side of too loud for a old mercedes...but no loader really than the FEW w123s around here that i have heard, and not really too load for one that is "tuned" if that is the right phrase...but seeing the ford powerplant is not yet supercharger...i hope that that poweradder will compress and quiet the sound....the blower should be on in 500 more miles...1000mile break in period...the exhaust was calculated to 2.5" with the projected hp the blower will add....so i think the exhaust is "bouncing around" a bit in the pipe...but it does sound good for a v6, not bee s in a can, or buzzzy, very v8ish, rumbley, bass - good tone and back pressure...

any way it sounds very borla like, at start up it is all bass and rumble...then goes into a smooth mellow sound, the addition of the baffles really was needed to keep the system in check...i have been asked over a few times in the 500 miles - whats in it, is that a modded old mercedes, sounds great, ect...all of my friends and family love the sound - well my mom thinks it could be quieter, but she agrees the baffles keep it in check...i wish i knew how to post a wave file, can i do it just like an image??? ill work on it, or ask the fella that did it in his w123 estate with straight pipes....

thanks
jake

oh - ps...the last sytem had a flowmaster with baffles and 2" exhaust, no blower and no mandrel bends all 45* slice cuts, or bend tube... -this is new borla system with mandrel bend pipes is much more desirable.

#11 ·
Those mandrel bends really make the flow more smooth rather than give it more turbulence. Great mods there, is the exhaust noisy at idle? Or will it only get noisy when gassed? What's the compression ratio?

My dad's Honda in the Philippines has a very low idle exhaust note but it's barely audible at far. Once it kicks, and the VTEC hammers in, it's a screamer! When I was there I would borrow it once in a while, zipping through traffic and provoking other street racers. He recently borrowed a custom ECU from a friend and had the RPM go to 8800 more or less. Was able to drive it at 7000 and it sounded more or less like those F1 cars with the high pitch note. [:D]

Good to hear your project's going fine. Hope there aren't any problems so far. [|)]

#14 ·
that is what i have - a very V8 sound....not too loud, just "AH HA! WHAT IS DONE TO THAT!" sound.

could you please post a picture that shows more underneath the car to share with all of us what this exhaust looks like???

thanks
jake

#15 ·
BF_JC230 - 8/16/2004 9:55 PM

that is what i have - a very V8 sound....not too loud, just "AH HA! WHAT IS DONE TO THAT!" sound.

could you please post a picture that shows more underneath the car to share with all of us what this exhaust looks like???

thanks
jake

here is a picture what i have, I don't have underneath ones , but will post them later for you [:)]
-Andrey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.