Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

raced somebody hahaha

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MBeige 
#1 ·
I'm currently having some personal problems so last night I went out for a drive at midnight, just on the surface roads here in Anaheim. I pulled up at a stoplight, and some VW old Beetle also pulled up. Two guys, mid 20's or 30's. Heavily set up VW (you know, those ones with huge engines at the back, with matching tires).

Light turned green, I floored the pedal, and so did he. He was looking at me furiously like seeing if I was still there, I grinned. 2nd gear kicked in, the shift characteristic of my car is that it lurches forward, I don't know about others. But that proved great this time, as the car's nose inched past his. Then I pressed on until a light ahead was turning yellow.

40mph and still pressing on, but ahead was a stop light. Yellow. We both stopped. He looked at me, smiled, and I returned with a smile of my own.

He was revving up, so I closed the ACC and rolled down windows, his car was noisier than I thought. My car really damped the sound. ANyway...

Cross street light turned red, so our turn to go green. Green light. I was late on stepping the pedal, and he went ahead slightly. Another hard shift lurched the car, he was frantic as I could see it in his face. 40mph, and a clear road. Wow.

I didn't want to catch any attention, so I didn't floor it fully. But he was really going for it, so I thought fine, I raced him to 60mph on street roads and he couldn't go past it (short transmission of his VW?). I was way ahead already, I saw him drop back. He dropped off a friend, so I made a U-turn, going back home. He also U-turned, and while I was stopped on the thru lane, he went to the left turning lane. Looked at him, he looked back, nodded his head, the light turned green, and we parted ways, smiling.

I guess it was really fun, but a bit careless. But worth it. Damn! I really love this car![8D]

See less See more
#2 ·
cool!! I hear that you had a VERY nice time with your w123! [:)]
I read your topic with a smile on my face!
Hope the guy´s in the beetle have learn a lesson to not race with an old nice BENZ [:D]
Your car must go really good what i hear!
Diesel-power!!

#3 ·
jeah that's the way to go!
I love those 'friendly' 'drags' with these old cars.
A lot of people just always forget how good those old mercs go.
a week or 2 back, we went to the seaside in our '91 W124 300TD non-turbo, just my dad and I.
we were cruising the highway at about 150kph on left lane, when this Hollandish freak comes up from behind with his Jeep Liberty 2.5CRD, flashing his light and pushing closely.
we took our time, changed lane, let the freak pass... and just went into chase.
MAN that guy just didn't believe his eyes when he saw a 12year old mercedes Diesel with 440.000kms chasing him and wanting to go past at HIS topspeed(... about 165kph).
On that trip we managed to get it up to about 175kph, wich isn't very bad with only 113hp.

... I love old mercs....[^][:p][8)]

cya,

matteus

#4 ·
I had something like that happen on a major highway there is a straitaway for about 10 miles, I was in my wifes cd and a 300d did a flyby at 85 or so, a 300sd joined the race in the highspeed lane and saw me and gave me a look like well, what are you waitng for , its a benz, so he was ahead of me and I pulled up the rear, people were diving out of the highspeed lane when our little race came by.we were doing 90-95 and 1 by 1 their exits came up and they peeled off to take them, the best part of this is we were all diesels. thats the first time i felt the "brotherhood ""sisterhood" on the road w/ a car, I usually get this way with my harley.

#6 ·
Damn,
I wish I could have joined in as well with my 83 300d. Just wondering if you guys know if the vaccume hoses have anything to do with starting off faster. I dont think my car is very fast from the start. Once second gear kicks in it gets a little better and it does kind of shifts a little bit hard when trying to go fast. I know what you mean about lurching forward. Also do you guys use your S mode often? Or do you usually just keep it in D?

Thanks

#7 ·
Admittedly I tried using S once, but just for a few seconds of testing. If my memory serves me right:

D has all four gear speeds
S has only three
L has only two

[?]

Do you mean if at the moment you step on the pedal, will there be instant response? Have you tinkered with the ALDA? Here's a link if you haven't tried it:

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1168518&posts=23&hl=ALDA

Also, there is a cable going to the transmission that starts from atop the valve cover. Adjust it so that there is no slack between the ball joint (similar to throttle linkage joints) and the black mounting bracket when at idle. Use the white hexagonal screw (14mm? 13mm?) to turn it. You may want to remove the red corrugated boot that covers this part first.

The more slack, the earlier it shifts. The less slack, the later it shifts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.