Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Newbie...be gentle

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  wcolucci 
#1 ·
Finally!!

Found and bought an 85 300CD smke silver maroon interior 190K. I've been looking for over ten yrs for the right car,right price etc. Found it less than 2 miles from my house. Car is two owner, Cape Cod all it's life and teh previous owner was son of original!!! Seller put over $4,000 into it in last yr. Car came w/ window sticker and sales brochures all service records from day 1 to last week, (new radiator in May!!)

I've owned a few 113's an 83 300D and a couple of S diesels but I've wanted a C for so long. The only body issues are the driver fender was painted, I assume some light accident,but the rest appears original. There is quarter sized rust at both rear wheel wells, at bottom and the jack point rubberized covering around all four is cracking a little w/ some rust showing, no glass, no through holes...seems almost too nice but I really tore it apart, plus the seller gave me 4 Blizzaks, (little did I know till I got home that they were mounted on MB alloys), wow 8 wheels.
Anyways, the only thing I really need right now are the 2 grommets that keep the gas door up, they are both gone and the hatch sits below the body line...other than that seems great, ice cold air,good turbo kick, etc, I'll change oil tonight when I get home and check all the fluids, any other advice?

I've been lurking on this site for a long time, I'm excited to be able to finally be part of teh family

See less See more
#3 ·
patience, patience

Went to the Dept of Motor Veh yesterday to get it on the road. I was issued number 558...ok, place looked crowded. Looked up at board, 503...hmmm 20 mins later they had inched up to 508..figured I'd still be there. Will try again today and then take it to a spot where I love to photgraph my cars it's in a cemetary but you'd think you were in Rome Italy

#7 ·
No no no that is not an umbrella for the sunroof!!

Went through reciepts last night, over $5,000 in past 18 months, new gas tank, cycl head gasket, exhaust system brake lines, fuel lines, glow plug a/c compressor, rotors front & rear, radiator, wow!!

What is left for me to do???

#10 ·
What is left for me to do???
Hi man and wellcome
Very nice car , love your colour. I have coupe too =)
I think you can put european bumpers and headlights , good sound system[:)]. Does your car has a factory tinted windows?
It's cool , that us models came out with 3 liter turbo diesel engine.
Congratulations
nice coupe

sorry for english is not very good

-Andrey

#11 ·
sorry guys, have been travling last two days!! Guess what I was driving??

Put over 450 miles on it over Thurs & Fri, with 2 passengers in the car...VERY hilly area in upstate NY, ran like a tank, turbo worked well in the hills and twisties, passengers were comfortable they loved the car..It was funny since they questioned where can you get diesel....hmmmm how about any truck stop on the interstates or, since we were very rural, (farm country), EVERY gas station had it, for the local farmers

it has been a few years since I owned one so I had to re acquaint myself w/ the ac and venting, windows fogged a bit until I figured out to use the a/c at a white setting on the wheel, (forgot the temp).

Interestingly, if I put defrost on it pumped out pure heat, not too nice on a 80 degree rainy day. Is that normal??

thanks for the nice comments..The only complaints so far is the heat blast from defroster,the dash lights are very dim, even when set at the high setting and the interior lights do not come on when you open the door, (tried all 3 settings, worked only when put in the full time on position)....any help there too would be appreciated.

#12 ·
Yes, the heat on defrost is normal, the idea is to get the window clear fast so you can see – during this era the DB motto was safety before comfort.

The dim lights are also a pain – and common. Stronger bulbs are often used but not too strong as to melt the plastic. I believe there’s instructions in the “Online Topics� sticky post at the top of the forum.

I also have the same problem with the door/interior light. In my case the switch in the doorframe is faulty. This may also be common.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.