Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Chrysler 300C

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  jdc1244 
#1 · (Edited)
well in my quest for a new car i always sort of wanted a E320...

but now this new Chrysler 300C with strong MB underpinnigs has me dreaming of one...

why i post this here is because of the design...

does any one here see a ton of our w123s in this car??? i look at the front end, the side profile and only the rear is drastically different...the side view is close the front hood line pretty on, the rear deck shorter and more muscle...the front end is real close (even the HID headlamps have little MB stars in them) to me this car looks like much more of a progression than a new E...

anyway i was wondering if the rest of you though that they had a close look on the exterior.....interior - no...i do not see any real ties - its a normal centerstack with a normal ip and a normal console...

jake

#2 ·
Now that you mention it ….no…

I don’t know what to make of the 300 C – yes the suspension and transmission are DCX and the engine is awesome but the looks leave me cold. A w123?

Hmmmm..

Post a pic if a 300 C and we’ll see…

#5 ·
now with this unatural marrage of mopar and mb, is chrystler stepping up or mb stepping down?still when you think of it, the world is still following the stepps of mb in any of its guises, look at the new gto now with rear wheel drive, what a concept, now chrystler has 2 modles that are rear wheel drive, I guess its time for the mice to follow the piper again. as far as seeing the w123 in the 300c, no I see a acura tl on steroids from the rear and the front looks like its missing something, i dont know what, now the crossfire, now thats a different tune, I see a 230compressor from the side.

#6 ·
rousch - 8/10/2004 9:40 AM

now with this unatural marrage of mopar and mb, is chrystler stepping up or mb stepping down?
…both need to step up…

Fiddlefoot - 8/9/2004 11:32 PM

I'm like JDC....I don't see it. I haven't decided if i like the car or not. I still prefer the "more classic look" and the 300 C is far to...to.... What is that word...oh yeah... UGLY!!

Yes, ugly is the right word…

#8 ·
You do know that the crossfire was to be a MB, but they gave it to Chrysler as an effort to get Chrysler some exposure in the UK. At least several dealers are using that line as a selling point for the car. For myself I think the Crossfire convertible looks great, but I'll stick with my W123 and hope to add a classic SL in a year or two. (Have to finish the garage first)

#9 ·
I like the 300C and considering getting one. It is one of those cars that looks great in a certain color and horrible in others.

From what I get from my chrysler guys, MB has taken alot of their development and applied it to the MB line. I am sure that this is the case the other way around as well.

For me I am stuck enjoying my 123 and couple of 126's. The quality I feel is not there in the new MB as it was in the early 90's and before. The designs are not as robust also.

Even after 30+ years 107's still look good to me and 123 even are not that "dated" looking. Again this is if the car is not a basket case.

Just maybe a little bias..but good design is good design and stands the test of time. What else do you think so many companys are looking at their older designs to incorporate that look into the new cars ie: Ford Mustang?

Cheers[:D]

#11 ·
In that the 300 C is somewhat “boxy� compared to a w123, perhaps – but as you can see from the pics below it looks nothing like a w123. If anything it looks like a caddy from the front. The 300 C’s “slit� windows and massive C pillar makes for poor visibility; whereas the w123 is one of the best cars when it comes to 360-degree visibility. The squared- off or “boxy� nature of the w123 is real and authentic, it reflects a sincere, honest, Teutonic design philosophy. The 300 C exhibits the pseudo 30’s street rod look prospective 300 C buyers may remember from youth (see next to last pic), much like the PT Cruiser is a knock- off of the sedans of the late 30’s, as with this 1939 Ford sedan in the last image.

Looking at the 32 Ford coupe and the 39 sedan one can see how Chrysler is devoid of any intrinsic design philosophy. Chrysler apologists may argue that the company was simply trying to revive styles from America’s automotive design past, tradition, and history. Maybe. I believe Chrysler designers are only interested in gimmicks where MB designs are (were [V])
genuine. It’s yet another reason why the creation of DCX was a mistake.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.