Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

When will W123's become classics?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  pondscum007 
#1 ·
I've read somewhere that the W123 model is "well on its way into becoming a classic", so I'm curious to know as to when that time will come?

And how would you know if a car is a classic? +25 years old? +30? Almost a million miles and still running?

Oh, what is the difference between a classic and a vintage?

#3 ·
here is the end of story written in Mercedes enthusiast. This will give your an answer.

The W123 are on the cusp. The fact that values of good cars is rising fast says that BONA FIDE classic status is just around the corner. For prospective buyers, the main problem will be finding a good car.
Buy the right car, maintian it correctly, and the inherent build and engineering quality coud keep you moveing in style for decades to come.[:D]

#4 ·
There is no set time as to when a car becomes “classic� or even “vintage.� Factors which determine a car to be classic are both subjective and capricious. At some point a car becomes “desirable� and/or “collectable.� There’s no telling when the car collecting community will bestow this honor on a given car. Some cars are considered classic from day one, like the r107 – there are many 20 plus year old r107s which have retained 100 percent of their value.

Unfortunately the w123 has something of an up hill battle. It was the last of the “utilitarian� Mercedes. They were designed and built to be tough, reliable, and strong. The fact that they were the last of their kind will be a leg up – I say the next ten to 15 years will tell.

#5 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2481058518&category=6329

I hope prices don't rise too much with classic status. It's kind of nice to be able to purchase a great Mercedes for under $4,000.

Unless, it's a cabriolet. Even fine examples of late 1960's and early 1970's Mercedes 280 SE are still reasonably priced. I believe the number of cars produced in the late 1960's - early 1970's is much lower than the W123 models.

I assume the cabriolet sells for such a premium over the coupe, (besides being a convertible), is that - not that many cabriolets were produced.

Very hot in Colorado, maybe I should consider a rag top conversion on my 280 coupe.

John

#6 ·
in nj you can get historic plates after 25 years
but there are restrictions on how many miles you can put on it in a year with those and stuff

Historic plates cost $41. Any motor vehicle at least 25 years old, owned as a collector's item and only used for exhibition and educational purposes by the owner qualify for this plate. They come personalized as well and the fee is $91.

Owners of a modified antique automobile manufactured before 1949 registered in a New Jersey street rod club, an affiliate of the National Street Rod Association, Inc. may apply for a Street Rod plate that costs $15.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.