Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

240D

947 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  GeeS 
#1 ·
I have started to search for a 240D and have found several. The one I really like is a 1982, 4 spd manual, seems to be in good shape. Not sure how many miles for sure, the mileage counter does not work. It is showing 156,000 miles, it was inspected a year ago with 154,000 mi. So it went out shortly. Everything seems to work good, sunroof, etc. . . A/C does not work. It has a slight vibration at highway speeds, could be anything, needs new tires, it is out of alignment. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to look for in these cars. I want to drive it roughly 70 miles a day. Parts seem to be fairly inexpensive, what should I be looking for with these cars. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

G
#2 ·
Look if there is oil in the Air Filter Housing

Inspect all the rubber hoses

Make sure the car heats up (meaning the thermostat and all the components are working)

Check if it leaks oil underneath

Look For Rust

Musty smell inside (means you have a water leak through the seals)

Excessive Smoke

Look at the secondary fuel filter in the engine bay (see how dirty it is )

Oil Pressure Gauge (How fast the gauge pegs up if you hit the gas pedal)

High Engine Temps (should be around 80-90C)

Enjoy the 240D once you get it....if that particular one is worth it

#3 ·
HOw well do the manual transmission hold up? I can not tell if it is leaking oil, the bottom is very dirty.
Oil gauge stays all the way up when first started, but generally lowers once warmed up and at idle, then pegs out when revved, is this normal?

If the car shakes not due to out of balance tires, what is the typical replacement cost of front end parts?

Thanks

G
#4 ·
i would think that front end parts would not be cheap unless you can find used ones...

my oil pressure gauge stays up when i first start it and then lowers a bit....if i hit the gas it goes right up

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.