What does it mean when the "BRAKE" light flashes while you are driving ?????? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2004, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
KamiL

What does it mean when the "BRAKE" light flashes while you are driving ??????

As I was driving on the highway today my red light that says BRAKE started to flash. It really didn't flash when I was stepping on the brakes, mainly when I accelerated the car. My rear brakes have been squeeking for a while now but when i checked them they seemed fine.

What does that mean ? Anybody have any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2004, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
RE: What does it mean when the "BRAKE" light flashes while you are driving ??????

Sounds like the fluid level or the parking brake pedal is not returning. Probably the level.Why is it low?? Check your pads- if they are low do not add fluid!! When you do the pads the level will rise. Make sure all wheels are dry, meaning calipers are ok.....
Old 01-13-2004, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 1980 w123 230 "Sport", 2005 w203 230 Sport
Send a message via AIM to BF_JC230
RE: What does it mean when the "BRAKE" light flashes while you are driving ??????

Just a huntch but could it be a pad wear indicator? there are only a few electrical senders that tell that light to come on - even a cheap chilton or haynes manual will give you the wire diagram. - Jake

www.1980MB230.com
Old 01-14-2004, 02:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2002

If the red BRAKE lamp flashes while driving it indicates low fluid level, which might mean the pads are getting worn. It should also light up when you apply the parking brake.

There is a separate pad wear indicator lamp to the left of the BRAKE warning lamp - a yellow background with a (O) symbol.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
KamiL

do the rear brakes have sensors on them ???[?][?][?]

Old 01-14-2004, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770

Quote:
do the rear brakes have sensors on them ???[?][?][?]
No -- only the front brakes have sensors.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: W123, W201, W124

Quote:
Andrew Noakes - 1/13/2004 2:16 AM

If the red BRAKE lamp flashes while driving it indicates low fluid level, which might mean the pads are getting worn. It should also light up when you apply the parking brake.

There is a separate pad wear indicator lamp to the left of the BRAKE warning lamp - a yellow background with a (O) symbol.
Sorry to bump an old topic, but I noticed just now that only at certain times, when I step on the brake (to the limit, like when stopping from a back-up) the "(O)" yellow brake warning light goes on, but when I release slightly, it goes off but I'm still stepping on the brake pedal. What does this mean?

But on the traffic light, there is no yellow warning light even if I'm stepping it maxed. I checked the fluid level, it's still maxed out.

Does this really mean my brake discs are wearing out? I can't say if it's the front or rear brakes that are affected.

On a side note, I do notice that when I brake hard, it goes to one side (left) slightly. This could still be caused by steering wheel free play, as I haven't had the links checked yet.

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Pads with a wear indicator have a wire buried in the pad material. When the material wears down the wire is exposed and when it touches the disc it completes the warning lamp circuit. I guess is the disc was slightly ridged or warped, the wire might touch in some parts of the disc and not in others.

So, sitting at lights with the brakes on you get no indicator lamp, but when you're moving the disc is rotating and the lamp lights when you hit the brake pedal. I guess.

What it means is that the pads are worn - or possibly there's a gremlin in the warning light circuit.

The pull to one side under braking could also be a symptom of worn pads, or maybe a sticking caliper.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

It seems that reasoning would tell me the pads are worn, because the car turns to one side on hard braking, and the (O) flashes. I'll have it checked at a known brake repair shop here.

Thanks! If anything comes up I'll update. [:)]
Old 03-09-2004, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

One thing I did notice was the (O) light turns on (sometimes bright, sometimes blinking) ONLY when I'm backing up, but when I'm driving forward, it rarely turns on.

Haven't checked yet at the brake shop though. Any ideas?
Closed Thread

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class