Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Ignition lock tumbler

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Julian Wilson 
#1 ·
Will a 300d ignition lock tumbler work on a 300sd? I cant locate a part # or anythibg on the 300sd ignition lock tumbler

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
A W123 tumbler should fit, IIRC the steering lock assembly that houses the ignition tumbler are the same on the 300SD W116s and 300D W123s.
It may be difficult to get a replacement key later on if you switch tumblers and lose the key for the replacement tumbler.
A keyed to VIN ignition tumbler is a dealer item, usually requiring the presence of the owner, car, title, registration, and positive proof of the owner's ID.

The ignition tumblers are very robust and don't typically fail.
Usually the components that fail are one or both of the spring loaded mechanisms in the steering lock assembly and/or the electrical ignition switch itself.
What trouble are you experiencing that requires a replacement tumbler?

BTW any luck on removing the #2 glow plug?

#3 ·
My key broke and these guys are taking way too long in making one that works, so i was gonna see if i coukd put the broke part in and the rest of the key to turn to aux so i can pop out the tumbler and put in a new one with new keys. And no not yet, i atill need a key for my car

#4 ·
Are you getting a VIN coded key from the dealer for the original tumbler?
That can take over a week or more because they come from Germany.
I wouldn't put the broken key in the ignition lock, it may get stuck depending on where it broke in half.

You may be able to JB Weld the two halves of the key together to get a temporarily (/permanently?) functional ignition key to allow release of the tumbler and/or starting the car.

If you get the tumbler out and the replacement tumbler doesn't fit, you can carve a wooden (or aluminum) rod to have the ears that engage the rotating assembly
behind the tumbler and to depress the spring-loaded release for the steering lock.
You would then have a "tumbler-key" to start and stop your car.

#7 ·
I checked my records, I last ordered two master keys for my 78 300SD from the Autobahn Motors, the local MB dealer in Belmont,CA.
The total cost for two keys on 5-6-2014 was $77.67. ($35.63 each plus $6.41 sales tax on the order)

Unfortunately, on replacement keys from the dealer, the plastic keyhead potion is not molded on.
The snap-together plastic keyhead has broken off of both replacement keys in the interim.
The keys themselves are made of quailty german steel.
The brass Ilco aftermarket key (now MIA) that came with the car, when I got it in January 2014, was very worn.

By now I imagine the cost is closer to $52 or so, depending on the dealership you order it from.
For comparison, the current online list price (mbpartsworld.com - an Altlanta GA dealer) for a 1979 330D W123 key is at most $38.50 (MB part number 0007600906),
the key head is separate item at $13.50 (MB part number 0007600906).

I normally order keys in pairs, to always have a spare in reserve.

#8 ·
Yeah im definitely gonna have to take that route then because i dont wanna mess uo any of the ignition and the locksmith is ridiculously pricey. Im hoping the dealer gives me a good deal because ive been really struggling without my car running and all i need is the key. Still havent got plug 2 out yet tho

#9 ·
The most important part is you have to be able to turn the existing lock slightly to position one in order to remove the old, and install the new cylinder.
It's not unusual to hear from members who couldn't, I know of one who spent over $800 on what he thought had been just a broken key.
Most locksmith will first try to bump the lock with a skeleton key. If you or the locksmith can get the broken piece out (without further damaging the cylinder), you might be able to get away with just a new dealer key, a perfect match and better than anything the locksmith can come up with.

I paid about 75-80 bucks for a new ignition lock cylinder with 2 keys (comes with one) from dealer after showing pink slip copy etc. They came from Forth Worth, TX within 2 days.
For the release, I bent a bicycle spoke into an elongated 'U' and filed the blunt ends about 30 degrees.
I am not sure whether your lock has the catch on only one side, or both.

Shop around for price. Around L.A. people have bought new keys anywhere from $27 - 38 + tax depending on the dealer.
I think the counter guy is allowed to knock off up to 10% from retail.

Btw, Julian, while you are at it, why not complete your profile with car mod and location. Daimler Benz made different versions of same model cars for different parts of the world, so on an international forum location can be important.
Also, there might be members in your area willing to help?

The forum archive holds a wealth of information. Search this forum with 'ignition lock' etc. 'How To' is right below..

Attachments

#10 ·
Okay thats a good idea. And i had a lock smith try to copy it and it will only work on the door. The tumbler worked perfect before the key broke. And yeah i was gonna update my profile but i havent had much time. Im in San Antonio TX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.