BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2016
Vehicle: 78 300SD
Location: San Mateo, CA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, you need to purge the air from the injector hard lines.
To get fuel to the injectors when you have lost prime:
1) Disconnect the hard lines at the injectors (17 mm flare wrench), and loosen the nuts on the hard line brackets (8 mm wrenches).
2) Unplug the glow plug harness (to save battery charge).
3) Use the primer pump to purge the air from the clear plastic hard lines. (About 50 strokes)
4) Crank 30-45 seconds, wait 10 minutes to let the starter cool off, repeat until fuel dribbles out of the rearmost metal hard line.
Be patient, and take your time...you don't want to fry your starter. (I watched some Netflix shows between the cranking sessions.)
5) Tighten the hard line fitting (17 mm) on the rearmost injector.
6) repeat step 4) and step 5) until each of the remaining injector hard lines dribbles fuel and are reconnected. They fill from the rear to the front (ie 5,4, 3, 2 and then 1).
7) Re-tighten the injector hard line brackets (8 mm).
8) Reconnect the glow plug harness.
Glow twice for 45 seconds, depress the accelerator pedal and crank the engine.
She should start right up.