Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Engine Cylinder Head Swap

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DanieS 
#1 ·
Hi, I got a 1980 300SD and I am looking to restore it. As my mechanic opened the engine, we found out that the head has a dent and needs to be replaced.

I've found one but it is from W126. Basically I am wandering if we can fit the head from the W126 (OM617.951) to my W116 (OM617.950).

This is what I found on the net:

OM617.950 - 3.0l inline-5 turbocharged, 110hp, used between 1978 and 1980. Note that this is the only turbocharged 617 that did NOT have factory EGR equipment until mid 1980 production.

OM617.951 - 3.0l inline-5 turbocharged, 120hp, used between 1981 and 1985. EGR equipment added.

They appear to be the same engines but I need to verify before I buy the head as will cost me a fortune to ship it. Advices are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel

#3 ·
I am not completely sure, but it has something to do with the destroyed gasket. Gasket has failed long ago and the previous owner did not pay much attention. Engine was burning water and blue smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Car has been converted to run on veggie oil but the system haven't been used much. I am not sure if the car is worth restoring anymore, but yet I will try to find a good cylinder head and replace it.

Still trying to find out if parts from these two engines are interchangeable?
OM617.951 and OM617.950

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.