Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2.47 LSD

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  alabbasi 
#1 ·
Looking to unload a 2.47 LSD diff that I pulled from a euro SEC. Should fit any W116.
$300 plus shipping.

#3 ·
Al: what would that differential "do" for my '78 280SE? Or would it even work with the 2.8 engine?
Hemersam
James

It should definitely fit, the LSD would give you better traction as both wheels are driven instead of one. The ratio is probably lower which means that the RPM's will be lower at highway speeds at the expense of "off the line" acceleration.

As I don't have a 280SE and don't know what the ratio is and therefore I don't know if it will be over kill. I hope that someone on the forum would give a more qualified answer. I would suggest that you post this question to forum members and see what they say.

#4 · (Edited)
280SE/Automatic cars came equipped with 3.69:1 final drive ratio.

Swapping to 2.47:1 would be less than ideal. The M110 motors are high-revving - their torque peak is at 4,500rpm.

Hemersam, you "might" get a little better economy on the highway, but it would take a day and a half to get up to freeway speeds, and then you'd probably have to downshift from 4th to 3rd to make it over large hills.

For other's reference - here are the ratios that came in the other variants of the W116 chassis:
280S/SE/SEL - 4spd manual: 3.69
280S/SE/SEL - 5spd manual: 3.92
350SE/SEL: 3.46:1 (same for 4spd manual and 3 spd automatic)
450SE/SEL: 3.06:1
450SEL-6.9: 2.65:1
300SD: 3.07:1

A 2.47:1 gear is a very good gear for highway cruising, but only in a V8 car. The sixes (in my opinion) are not going to be happy with that gear ratio.

No intent to rain on your parade, Al - but I know that you wouldn't want to sell this to someone who really shouldn't want it.

#9 ·
My average speed to work is 20mph if that. A friend and I just went up to Andrews, NC this weekend to pick up a 450SEL for him where if not for other cars top speed could probably have been reached. :)

I suppose a 2.47 would be too tall for a 4 speed manual 300D turbo?

#10 ·
It's probably much better suited in a 6.9 given Brian's earlier comments. I hear you about traffic. I used to live in Smyrna and commute to buckhead right by Lenox and Piedmont. It would take me about 1 hour each way unless it's between thankgiving and Christmas, then the commute turned into 2 hours each way.

#11 ·
Funny we used to live in Smyrna until we bought a house. I figured out a road route all the way to the 285 hence 20mph yet the most logical compared to the freeway. I am pondering a 247 swap into the 6.9 and a 265 into the diesel but I am not sure how competent the car will be on the stop and go hills with that short of gearing. On the other hand the freeway cruise rpm's would be drastically reduced. I might just have to keep searching for that 5 speed.

#12 ·
Funny we used to live in Smyrna until we bought a house.
I wish I knew you were looking, I still have my house in Smyrna, it's just by the covered bridge and backs onto the silver comet trail. It's not a big house, but it has a huge drive under basement that can easily fit 3 S class cars (I had 2 6.9's and a 280SEL 4.5) and then some space for storage, parts washer etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.