Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

450 SEL 6.9 dead suspension!

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  exo37 
#1 ·
My restoration project 450SEL 6.9 has very saggy suspension all round and makes no attempt to lift at all. The front strut units are leaking and the rears probably are too (not checked yet). I've heard that some W126 models were fitted with the same self levelling units - is this true?? I've been offered a set from a 500SEC but cannot get to the guy to see if they are the same as mine so will be buying unseen (although he assures me they are all good).Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated[8D]

#2 ·
The common W126 self leveling system was not the same, as it still used springs
I believe however, a few models were spec'd with proper hydropneumatic suspension like the 6.9
Something you should check on

#6 ·
Hey Stinky,

The suspension system on the 116 and 126 are different.

Now, a buddy of mine still got it into his 6.9, but it doesn't work properly, he can not adjust it with the knob in the cockpit, it is goofing around.

I just worked on my 6.9 suspension, had to replace both rear lifters and some minor parts, spend around $750 on it (was in a hurry, couldn't get them from Germany in time).

Don't you have a good shop close by?

#8 ·
First start with the leaking struts. Make sure they're just not wet but if they're leaking they're not going to hold pressure. Then move onto the spheres assuming the pump and the front and rear valve are functioning properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.